White balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaduba

Reaction score
I've been shopping for a new camcorder for a while now. I'm impressed with the new Panasonic GS-150 with 3 CCDs and new joystick menu access. However, I've noticed that some MiniDV camcorders have a white balance function which appears to be used for the digital stills portion of the camera only. Is this true?

scubaduba:
However, I've noticed that some MiniDV camcorders have a white balance function which appears to be used for the digital stills portion of the camera only. Is this true?
Not any that I've ever seen.

According to camcorderinfo.com the GS-150 has manual white balance while shooting video. But I'm not sure if it's accessible via the Ocean Images Dolphin's "MagicWire" controls. They only mention it as being available for their GS-400 housing. And it appears that it's a mechanical control option, maybe to move the joystick?

Are you aware that you can buy the same housing you refer to in your other post direct from Ocean Images for the same money as through OceanBrite? OceanBrite is a retailer.

Amphibico has a housing out with a one push button for White Balance, it's the Amphibco Invader for the Sony HC1000, 3CCD , MINIDV camcorder, have one, like it. Only have one video online, it's a streaming video about 11 minuets long of a scuba class and is best viewed with a cable hookup.

http://tgarland.com/page2.html#

Seems like the panasonic is a pretty good bargain for a 3 CCD camcorder. Anybody have experience with one underwater?

scubaduba:
Seems like the panasonic is a pretty good bargain for a 3 CCD camcorder. Anybody have experience with one underwater?

I have no experience with the little pannys underwater but have played a bit with one on shore. One comment - you can't judge everything by the number of CCDs. The size of the CCDs also makes a huge difference. When folks talk about prosumer 3CCD cameras they are usually referring to cameras with three 1/3" CCDs. The Panasonic PV-GS150, on the other hand, has three 1/6" CCDs.

I'm not saying that the Pannys are not necessarily a good deal or nice cameras, just don't think that because the lower cost cameras have 3CCS that they will give you the same image as the more expensive cameras like the Panny DCV30 or the Sony VX2100.

Will this make a difference? The less expensive cameras are not as good in low light as the 3CCD cameras with larger CCDs. On the other hand, the quality of video usually has more to do with the shooter than the camera.

scubaduba:

I am very happy with my GS400 (3 x 1/4,7" CCDs), using it with an Equinox housing. Definately do get a white balance control for the housing, it helps a lot.

Jüri

Hi, the outcome is fantastic. Only thing of a slight concern is the housing availability.

Till todate I am still sourcing for a housing for my camcorder. Only 10 BAR has full mechanical control available and at a good bargain. But so they have stopped manufacturing my series of product. sigh....

I am unconvinced that manual white balance is worth the extra trouble and risk. I am a relatively inexperienced shooter underwater but have shoot quite a bit in drier climes.

White balance on land is great for correcting color temperature. The same thing doesn't quite exist underwater. A wide shot through even very clear water will give you different whites than a close up of sand. I am happy to shoot using auto white balance with an orange filter and then in post, color correct to suit my eye.

The other reason that I won't white balance manually underwater is that there is the risk that I will screw it up. I screwed up a manual white balance on one shoot on land and had to spend a lot of time fixing the color. I've only done it once, so I don't think I'll do it again, but underwater where I am working on my bouyancy and can't see nearly as well as I can on land, I am nervous about screwing up otherwise good footage by messing up a manual white balance setting.

I know some folks swear by manual WB underwater and I think that whaytever works for them is great. Personally I will stick with auto WB, at least for now.

I have never shot underwater... however, basic video color theory should apply. I'd be trying to shoot color bars at the depths I was taking video if I could. At least give yourself a reference point in post as to how to color correct accurately.

Though I suppose if it's just home video, it doesn't really have to be super accurate.

RickSp:
I am unconvinced that manual white balance is worth the extra trouble and risk. I am a relatively inexperienced shooter underwater but have shoot quite a bit in drier climes.

White balance on land is great for correcting color temperature. The same thing doesn't quite exist underwater. A wide shot through even very clear water will give you different whites than a close up of sand. I am happy to shoot using auto white balance with an orange filter and then in post, color correct to suit my eye.

The other reason that I won't white balance manually underwater is that there is the risk that I will screw it up. I screwed up a manual white balance on one shoot on land and had to spend a lot of time fixing the color. I've only done it once, so I don't think I'll do it again, but underwater where I am working on my bouyancy and can't see nearly as well as I can on land, I am nervous about screwing up otherwise good footage by messing up a manual white balance setting.

I know some folks swear by manual WB underwater and I think that whaytever works for them is great. Personally I will stick with auto WB, at least for now.

I was happy shooting everything in auto. That was until I experienced 1st hand what manual white balance can do.

With my setup (Sony TRV900 and Gates housing), once white balance is manually set, a flick of a knob switches things between auto and manual. I can easily switch back and forth choosing the mode that looks best, which is usually manual.

I've posted this link before but in case you have not seen it.......here is a clip shot in Aruba of the tugboat wreck at a depth of 90 feet. White balance was manually set using the sand.

Right click and "save target as" to download.

www.ronrosa.com/wb.wmv

Remember this is at 90 feet, which if you've ever filmed that deep, colors are severely lacking even to the eye. With manual white balance set, things look more colorful looking through the camcorder than with my eyes.

This is just my opinion and experiences, but to me there is no contest between auto and manual white balance. To each his own.

Back
Top Bottom