White balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBob92651:
Question for all those that manually white balance underwater. I've seen at least one (Amphibico I believe) white balance slate that has a blue tint to it. For those that color balance underwater - what do you use? White balance card? Dive Slate? Amphibico type white balance slate? Thanks!

Sand. Free, no clutter, quick and easy.

RickSp:
Swimming away from my soapbox now.

Rick

Thanks Rick - you provided some very good insight. I've shot for years with a housing/camera setup that didn't allow for manual white balance underwater. Only recently did I switch to a housing that gave me the option to manually white balance (or select from the camera's presets) underwater. So far I have been really pleased with the results, and white balanced quite often. I've been using a white u/w dive slate which has produced much more accurate colors (on average) then automatic white balance. My technique was to hold my slate slate at arms length with one hand while white balancing with the other (this technique did take several dives to master of course). It makes sense now why this approach would sometimes produce not so desirable results - as the white balance was only for 1-2' from the lens - while most shots were probably not in this range. Granted, if the focal point was 4-5' from the lens, there shouldn't be much difference in color. However, for other shots, such as landscapes, where the focus is at infinity and the subject matter is much further away, the arm's length white balance would definately be less accurate. It makes sense why a light blue slate would be more accurate in this case.

As far as sand use, which Ron had mentioned, that is something I've used as well (especially those dives when I forgot my slate!). I've also noticed that a shot that has sand (though never "pure white") in it generally works well using auto white balance.

Thanks again for the feedback!

ronrosa:
Likewise...

ronrosa:

What color is that sand ????

I have an Ocean Images GS400 housing with the manual controls for white balance.

It is amazing the difference between the auto modes and manually setting the white balance while diving. Here in Southern California shooting video with auto white balance results in very green video (without lights of course). Using the manual white balance I am able to get rid of the green tint completely.

Some examples are at my site http://www.socaldivevideos.com. The top videos (the widescreen ones were using the new camcorder with manual white balance), the 9 videos below were using an older single CCD camcorder that only had auto white balance.

When shooting with the GS400 using auto white balance everything just gets green, all red is lost. Once I hit that manual button and turn the knob a little all the red comes back.

Just my experience.

-MikeT
http://www.socaldivevideos.com

MikeT
Thanks for the post showing the video comparisons. When I was looking for a video camera, it got down to a coin filp between the GS400 and Sony's HC-1000. I when with the HC-1000 because of the electronic controls of the Amphibico housing with the manual white balance push button. We are going to the Bahamas on the Explorer I, in a couple weeks, if I get anything comparable to your videos , I`ll upload something.

Question; Do you use both red filter and manual WB , or manual WB only ?

TRIG:
MikeT
Thanks for the post showing the video comparisons. When I was looking for a video camera, it got down to a coin filp between the GS400 and Sony's HC-1000. I when with the HC-1000 because of the electronic controls of the Amphibico housing with the manual white balance push button. We are going to the Bahamas on the Explorer I, in a couple weeks, if I get anything comparable to your videos , I`ll upload something.

Question; Do you use both red filter and manual WB , or manual WB only ?

I use manual WB-only when shallow (0-40 feet or so). If I am deep and it is sunny I use the fiter and manual WB. When it is overcase the filter makes it too dark so I usually use WB only. The LCD on the GS-400 is so big and clear that I am able to judge how it is going to look while filming and I adjust as conditions change. I find the filter just looks too red shallower than 40 feet, sometimes even deeper. When I get deeper I usually try the filter, see how the camcorder reacts and then either re-set WB for the fiter, or remove the filter and just use manual WB.

The water has a green cast here in So Cal. The red filters on underwater video cameras are more geared for blue (Tropical) water so you may find it works better at shallower depths.

- MikeT

MikeT
Thanks for the info, just what I was looking for.

TRIG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom