Whites Launches New Fusion Boot!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveJedi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Due to countless requests for a boot that is lower profile, easier to don and doff, and more streamlined/less bulky than the existing Evo III boot, Whites has launched a new Fusion Boot - this new boot is sure to be a hit!

3724330317_89acf0afe6.jpg

Features:
Fin Keeper
Drainage holes
Air Control Boot Strap
Super Low Profile (no new fins needed)
Removable and replaceable

This new boot attaches around the base of the Fusion skin so it becomes part of the suit.

Whites wanted to ensure that the boots were interchangable; you can take them off, replace them, or leave them on permanently. They allow the user to slip them on and off like a traditional attached vulcanized boot. The designing of this proved to be somewhat complex, so here is how it works:

A strip of "loop" velcro down the heel the DryCore sock attaches to a strip of "hook" velcro on the inside of the Fusion boot. This keep the sock inside the boot, when you remove your foot from the sock.

In order to keep the toe of the sock at the end of the boot, a thin insole is placed into the inside of your dry sock; because of the stiffness of that insole the sock remains in the boot and in place, allowing easy donning and doffing of the boot, without removing it. If you needed to take the boot off however, you certainly could.

Here are the components - boots and an insole (when the suit is ordered new they will come attached):
3837474256_2482c2657d.jpg

You insert the insole into the sock:
3836689237_d7f798a83d.jpg

Slide the sock into the boot and attach the velcro (it's hard to see what is happening here, due to space, but you get the idea):
3836784779_5d09852f68.jpg

Attach the Fusion skin to the boot:
3836793729_482fd7ee47.jpg

You're set!

Here is where I come clean; everyone has there own opinions, countless people love their Evo III boots, they offer unbelievable grip and ankle support. I'm a lazy boat diver, I personally don't need it, I like low profile, simple, easy to slip on. I REALLY like my Fusion boots. I have been using and doing R&D (research and development) on them since last year. They are so easy to slide on and off, compact and I don't have to find my boots every dive - bottom line - they are just easy!

I have found they add some buoyancy to my feet as more air does have an opportunity to enter the boots - having said that, I like buoyant feet and I find the extra air keeps my feet warmer, so I don't tighten the air control boot strap up as much as I could either.

As many existing Fusion users will now say:

What about my Fusion now - it does not have the velcro, can I just order the boot?
Technically yes - I've tried this, what you will find is that the sock will come out of the boot as you remove your foot - if you don't care - great, you will just need to reposition the sock when you put the suit back on, its not too bad, because the insole is still in the sock.....but it is still a pain.

If you want to really take advantage of the way the boot works, this is your best option:
- Go to your local dealer, strip the skin off your suit and send the suit back
- We will replace the whole sock; while we are at it, we will:

- Widen the ankle of the sock (where the sock meets the leg) - this will be far more comfortable for you, the suit will be easier to don and doff.
- The new sock will have a heavier material on the sole (we do this not because you need it, but because we make the socks in huge batches, all socks on new suits are being made this way, and we just want to grab one of those existing socks and put it on your suit. nice benefit for you.
- Your new sock also has velcro down the heel of the sock that will accommodate your new Fusion Boot.

Once your new sock has been installed, we'll send your suit back with the Fusion boot; a quick reinstallation of your skin and boots, and your set!

Because your suit requires some modification we are doing this as a customer service for you, the early Fusion adopters. MSRP on this is $190 which includes the cost of the boot (which normally retails at $138!) so all these modifications are costing you $52 + the cost of the boots!!

Is it worth it you ask?

As I mentioned I have been using the boots for the better part of a year and I love mine, they are way easier, more compact, streamlined and lighter weight. For my purposes of rolling off the side of a boat, they are perfect and well worth it.

If you are a shore diver, like the ankle support and grip of the Evo III, then you're set with no modifications needed! Keep diving your evo boots and your suit as is!

My apologies for the long winded"ness" of this message, if you have any questions please let me know. You can email me directly - please use my email address rather than pming me.

tylerp@whitesdiving.com

Until the next dive,

Tyler

Last edited:
Man, what timing. I just bought a pair of too big Chuck Taylors last week. This sounds great.

Question: Is there anyway to buy the boots with the velcro attachment and insole, and DIY, without sending the suit back?

In theory yes - you could theoretically use some aquaseal and attach the velcro to the sock, order the boots (which come with insoles), and you are set....here's the problem - the exterior of our suits are a nylon weave - getting anything to attach to a weave long term is very difficult. There is a good chance it will eventually come off especially given the mobility that happens in the foot area. You unfortunately would also void your warranty....

This is why we made sending in your suit so attractive - the wider ankle and bulked up sole make it a sweet deal. But I hear ya - I'm a diver too, sending in my suit for any length of time is a drag.

So we highly recommend buying a new suit so you have a back up! :wink: JK.

Good Luck,
Tyler

If you are buying new you can just order the Fusion boots instead of the Evo boots - same price!

Cheers,
Tyler

But I hear ya - I'm a diver too, sending in my suit for any length of time is a drag.

What is the turn around time on sending in our current suit? Obviously minus the time the LDS takes to send it in.

Due to countless requests for a boot that is lower profile, easier to don and doff, and more streamlined/less bulky than the existing Evo III boot, Whites has launched a new Fusion Boot - this new boot is sure to be a hit!

How do the boots size? I'm a US 11 Mens (wide). Is the regular 11 good for me?

How do the boots size? I'm a US 11 Mens (wide). Is the regular 11 good for me?

Mike at Dive Right told me to size 1 size larger than what you normally wear.

Back
Top Bottom