who are your favorite NC dive boat operator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Who in NC is your favorite dive boat operator and why, i.e. What are your Reasons why, like boat, crew locations ECT?

My only experience in N.C. was a week with Olympus dive center. they had a friendly ,curtious and professional staff and the boat was perfect for dive charters. Apparently the Olympus was a crew transport for offshore oil rigs saved from mothballs and converted into a dive boat. It even has those outriggers like the big fishing boats have to lessen the boats rocking in rough seas. The Olympus is one of two of their boats, the other is a bit smaller and is called the Midnite Express I think. Both boats are docked conveniently right behind the Dive shop in Moorehead city. I didn't want for anything on that boat and will be going out with them again next year :wink:

Jason :eyebrow:

I love Olympus and Discovery both. Discovery has mixed size boats
we like to take the 6pack (the Captain's lady). They have both
taken good care of me for different dives and I've done some
training with Olympus. I usually go with whichever of the two
has the boat space or will go to the spots we like.

Discovery has gone out in what we considered questionable
conditions (some rough thunderstorms), but the last time
we had to call a dive for rough conditions, we paid for gas and
they refunded our charter. Nobody's perfect, but we'd had
good experiences with both.

What about the smaller shops on the NC coast?
Anybody got recommendations for those?
Thx,
--alli

Capt. Bobby Cox runs the vessel Diver Down out of Atlantic Beach. I have been diving with Bobby and his gang for five years. This year was the first time we have been blown out. Hurricane Frances. Bobby is a gentleman and a skilled captain. His crew is very friendly and very attentive. I plan to be diving with Diver Down for many years to come. www.diverdownscubadiving.com

Capt. Pat Breen

Another vote for the Diver Down. Bobby leaves a bit earlier than the other shops getting you to the sites first. He allows EXTENDED safety stops.

Unlike some other regions where there are dive operators that I just would not waste my time diving with, all of the operations that I have dealt with in NC are pretty good and I would not hesitate to dive with each of them again. My favorite op in the Morehead City area is Discovery Diving, and my favorite in the Wilmington area is Aquatic Safaris.

My latest favorite operation that dives in NC waters in Dolphin Dive Charter. I'm not sure if they qualify as an NC dive boat or not since they are located in Myrtle Beach, but they do dive some NC sites. The boat is very big and fast; the dive deck is huge; and you can catch a nap on one of the bunks below on the trip out to an offshore site. The crew is laid-back and friendly, but very safety oriented. You can dive whatever profile you want, as long as you are properly trained and equiped and you let the crew know when to expect you back. I also like trips with back to back dives on offshore sites (as opposed to one offshore, one on the way back) with long surface intervals.

Every operation could improve, and it would be nice if Dolphin Dive Charter would post a dive schedule on their webpage. It would also be good if they had a nitrox bank or membrane system instead of blending in-tank.

www.dolphindivecharter.com

as someone else said the Dolphin Dive Charter out of little river has by all means the bigest and fastest boat around , I have over the years dove with all of them and Capt tuck is excellent , I didnt include them only because he's out of little river just out side myrtle beach SC.but thats who I working at putting a big charter for the Carolina's and anyone else in the spring. for a group from scubaboard. for all who have never been on his boat check out his site ,
http://www.dolphindivecharter.com/

fireflock:
Unlike some other regions where there are dive operators that I just would not waste my time diving with, all of the operations that I have dealt with in NC are pretty good and I would not hesitate to dive with each of them again. My favorite op in the Morehead City area is Discovery Diving, and my favorite in the Wilmington area is Aquatic Safaris.

My latest favorite operation that dives in NC waters in Dolphin Dive Charter. I'm not sure if they qualify as an NC dive boat or not since they are located in Myrtle Beach, but they do dive some NC sites. The boat is very big and fast; the dive deck is huge; and you can catch a nap on one of the bunks below on the trip out to an offshore site. The crew is laid-back and friendly, but very safety oriented. You can dive whatever profile you want, as long as you are properly trained and equiped and you let the crew know when to expect you back. I also like trips with back to back dives on offshore sites (as opposed to one offshore, one on the way back) with long surface intervals.

Every operation could improve, and it would be nice if Dolphin Dive Charter would post a dive schedule on their webpage. It would also be good if they had a nitrox bank or membrane system instead of blending in-tank.

www.dolphindivecharter.com

Discovery is my choice, no real reason other than they were the first I tried, had no problems, so I never looked elsewhere.

jason

I personally enjoy Seaquest II and Captain's Lady out of Morehead and Diver Down out of Atlantic Beach. Great bunch of guys.

Back
Top Bottom