Who can comment on diving in the Parksville, BC area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a lot of great shore dive sites at the Parksville and Nanaimo areas. The only one I've been to is Madrona Point, which is excellent the 9-10 dives I've done there (you do need a compass and decent navigation to hit the wall). And I know that Tyee Point is pretty good. Here's a web site with some more locations Shore Dive Information - Sink or Swim Scuba - there's a link on there with boat dive information too.

I can't say anything about the shops there, as I always bring my tanks from the Victoria area shops, but I'm sure someone else can help.

Scuba_Noob:
There are a lot of great shore dive sites at the Parksville and Nanaimo areas. The only one I've been to is Madrona Point, which is excellent the 9-10 dives I've done there (you do need a compass and decent navigation to hit the wall). And I know that Tyee Point is pretty good. Here's a web site with some more locations Shore Dive Information - Sink or Swim Scuba - there's a link on there with boat dive information too.

I can't say anything about the shops there, as I always bring my tanks from the Victoria area shops, but I'm sure someone else can help.

Thanks Scuba. How about land activities? The wife is a non diver and it is her vacation too!

All I can really do is point you towards the tourism sites for Parksville and Nanaimo - Accommodations, Things to Do and Dining in Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, BC | Tourism Nanaimo | It's AMAZING what you can do here! and Qualicum Beach & Parksville BC – Central Vancouver Island Tourism

I live in Victoria and don't really go up north that often, mostly to scuba dive. Oh, yeah, if you get the chance to stop by Coombs, check out the Old Country Market (i.e., Goats on the Roof). Yeah, there are goats on the roof sometimes.

Parksville is all about the beach. There are a series of big, sandy beaches that are shallow for a long way out. If you go in the summer, the shallow water warms up enough for people to semi-comfortably splash around in. It's a popular family and RV destination. The main street is lined with 1960's family motels and a minigolf place that puts coloured dye in its fountains. The population probably triples in summer. Basically, I see it as a friendly, somewhat nostalgic, borderline-tacky, family tourist destination. Outside of the "downtown" area, this is probably Canada's retiree capital. Like I said, it's really all about the beach, but if you have a vehicle it's pretty central on Vancouver Island and you can visit other towns/areas.

Hi Zesty.
The central coast of the island is a great place to dive. The Nanoose peninsula, which is right by Parksville, has several really good shore dives to do with reefs and walls, octos, wolfeels, a bit of bull kelp, and a myriad of fish, nudibranchs, crabs etc. We are really lucky here to have that available. I am with Nanaimo Dive Outfitters and we have some maps in the store that show how to get to the sites as well as diving on the site itself. Stop by for a copy and say hello - it is always nice to meet other divers. If you would like a guide to take you out, we can arrange that as well. Boat diving on the wrecks and walls around Nanaimo is always a treat. There are a couple of charter company's in town that we can get you on if you want to do some of that.

There is lots of activity for the family while you are off diving. There are always festivals, music, and other activities going on during the summer if you are here at that time. There are beaches in Nanaimo, Parksville they can play at and Coombs is a must for kids to see the goats on the roof. Catherdral grove with all the old growth forest is nice too. There are lots of great things to do.

Hopefully we get a chance to get to meet you and share some diving stories.

Thanks to everyone for the responses! We are looking to go in mid-March (it's a work thing), but the more I read about the place, the more excited I get to go there!

I live in Parksville, and have dove all of the shore dives around the area. They include:

1. Madrona Point - small wall and big wall - good for octopus and the occasional
wolf eel. Used to be lots of wolf eels, but haven't seen many over the past
couple of years :(

2. Tyee Cove - two separate dives at this location. One to the left of the sand
chute, and one to the right. Occasional octopus, and usually several wolf eels.

3. Dolphin Beach - a big wall, but you must dive this site on a high tide due to
entry / exit point. You can get deep on the big wall, or poke along the top and
in the gulley. Can usually find a wolf eel, an occasional king crab, and sometimes
an octopus.

4. Wall Beach - usually lots of wolf eels here. The most I counted on one dive was
10. Occasional octopus, and lots of ling cod.

5. The Jib - a big deep wall - good for some fish, and an occasional king crab.

All sites have a good variety of fish life, and depending on time of year lots of different nudibranchs. If you are coming in March, I would suggest early March. Once the herring spawn takes place, visibility goes way down. Once the plant growth takes off, visibility can be real bad for two to three months. :(

Shirley and Steve at Nanaimo Dive Outfitters are great shop to deal with. Same with Shelagh and Ray at Sink or Swim Scuba. If you are coming next March, there are a number of people who would be more than willing to lead you on a dive or dives. The shops can also hook you up with some great dives on two big and one small artificial reefs in Nanaimo.

If you need more information, or have more questions, please send me a PM and I'll be happy to help you out. :happy:

Divegoose

Back
Top Bottom