Who can ID this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
While diving at the scary depth of 7-8 feet, I encountered and videotaped the following phenomenon. Since I'm a marine educator by background, I thought I'd post this image on SB to see if anyone could guess what caused it.

Hint: it could be observed anywhere in southern California that red algae grows and divers get a little "rough."

Dr. Bill

Blood in the water from a speared fish that got off?

drbill once bubbled...
While diving at the scary depth of 7-8 feet, I encountered and videotaped the following phenomenon. Since I'm a marine educator by background, I thought I'd post this image on SB to see if anyone could guess what caused it.

Hint: it could be observed anywhere in southern California that red algae grows and divers get a little "rough."

Dr. Bill

Something flowing out of the cut-off stems of bull-kelp.

R..

Okay, I've kept you in suspense long enough... it's the reddish ink released by a sea hare (Aplysia californica) when it is disturbed by a potential predator, or rough handling by divers like me.

Here's a shot of one I videotaped yesterday releasing its ink.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom