Who has had something stolen in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
I'm not saying don't go there but I am saying, don't rent a car to shore dive because of the shear amount of thefts occuring...

And as I and others have said over an over, if you leave nothing of value in the car, what exactly are they going to steal? I have never talked to anyone who has been or is going to bonaire who isn't already aware of this reality. It's a nuisance. To go to Bonaire only to do boat dives and shore dive off the pier at your resort? If that's your solution, you should pick another island. Me? I'll unlock the car doors, leave the windows rolled down, and not leave anything of value. No big deal. What exactly do you need to take with you of value that isn't getting wet with you, anyways? I've stated this point a few times already. If you don't have your wallet, passport, and laptop in the car with you, your wallet, passport, and laptop can't very well get stolen from you car now, can they?

pilot fish:
and be very, very careful if you rent a condo or house, due to the break ins. If you go to a secure resort you will not have a problem. Some people, like you, don't see any of that as a problem because they just accept it. Fine. I'm concerned about people that think it's safe and wind up becoming a victim.

There are common sense ways to protect yourself on this front, too. First and foremost, don't stay on the ground floor. I know you believe this is unique to Bonaire. I have lived in and around Chicago all my life. In that time, the place where I was living has been broken into once. That one time was during the 6 months I was living in a garden apartment. Guys went to a side window between my building and the one next door, and kicked it in. Plain and simple. Not long after that, I moved to a second floor apartment. No problems for close to 3 years.

Of all the reports I have heard of condo break-ins in Bonaire, I have yet to hear anyone confirm that a door or window has been kicked in or otherwise broken. All of the stories I have heard seem to hint at the patio door being left open while the occupants sleep. Well, any guesses at how one might mitigate this problem? Anyone?

Just because it is a tropical paradise doesn't mean you can let common sense blow away on the tradewinds.

I had my brand new BC stolen from the rinse tank (I got two dives with it) I had brought my gear up to the locker area (Which was guarded full time) The Sand Dollar was the resort. It was also under renovation. I completely forgot to go back and get my BC out of the tank. When I came back for the afternoon dive I realized I left it there and went back to get it and it was gone. My saving grace was it was brand new and I filed a police report and got the money back..

Buddy Dive which is next door is an awesome place - highly recommended) I've been to Bonaire twice and the diving is spectacular. As with anything, when shore diving - don't leave anything in the car that's valuable. Pretty basic - and leave the car open.

On a better note - get a cooler and make a day trip to the national park and do diving along that way. Also - do Salt Pier!!! I did it before they put the restrictions on it and now you have to get permission - what an incredible dive.

The Hilma Hooker also makes for a great early morning dawn dive..

Bonaire is great - enjoy.

Also to note - that a few people had break in's at the Sand Dollar and equipment and money was stolen. We never had these problems at Buddy Dive.

NYCScubaGirl:
Also to note - that a few people had break in's at the Sand Dollar and equipment and money was stolen. We never had these problems at Buddy Dive.

And divers keep going back for more. go figure. At what point do divers say, I'm fed up with this crap and I'm not spending any more of my dve dollars there till the police get off their azzes?

pilot fish:
And divers keep going back for more. go figure. At what point do divers say, I'm fed up with this crap and I'm not spending any more of my dve dollars there till the police get off their azzes?

Well, apparently you have. What I don't understand is why you keep wasting your time and energy here. You've been there once, you'll never go back because you're unhappy. Why don't you just get on with your life? There are plenty of other exciting places in the world to go diving and get ripped off when your back is turned. You should try a few of them.

NYCScubaGirl:

Question on this one...I am assuming you mean their condos were broken in to. Do you know what floor they were on?

gangrel441:
And as I and others have said over an over, if you leave nothing of value in the car, what exactly are they going to steal? I have never talked to anyone who has been or is going to bonaire who isn't already aware of this reality. It's a nuisance. To go to Bonaire only to do boat dives and shore dive off the pier at your resort? If that's your solution, you should pick another island. Me? I'll unlock the car doors, leave the windows rolled down, and not leave anything of value. No big deal. What exactly do you need to take with you of value that isn't getting wet with you, anyways? I've stated this point a few times already. If you don't have your wallet, passport, and laptop in the car with you, your wallet, passport, and laptop can't very well get stolen from you car now, can they?
There are common sense ways to protect yourself on this front, too. First and foremost, don't stay on the ground floor. I know you believe this is unique to Bonaire. I have lived in and around Chicago all my life. In that time, the place where I was living has been broken into once. That one time was during the 6 months I was living in a garden apartment. Guys went to a side window between my building and the one next door, and kicked it in. Plain and simple. Not long after that, I moved to a second floor apartment. No problems for close to 3 years.

Of all the reports I have heard of condo break-ins in Bonaire, I have yet to hear anyone confirm that a door or window has been kicked in or otherwise broken. All of the stories I have heard seem to hint at the patio door being left open while the occupants sleep. Well, any guesses at how one might mitigate this problem? Anyone?

Just because it is a tropical paradise doesn't mean you can let common sense blow away on the tradewinds.

OK gangrel, at first I thought you might be a wise guy but after reading this post I really think that is how YOU feel and what YOU are willing to accept. I think it might have something to do with your young years and how you feel it fits your risk taker attitude towards things in general. OK, fine, for you, but it might not be too smart in the long run. It just takes one time to get your gear stolen to give you a new perspective. You work hard all year long to earn money to go diving, so I doubt you don't care when you are a victim of gear theft, or a break in.

By the way, it is NOT called a break in if nothing was broken into. There is a reason it is called a break in- they had to break something to get in, or use a method other than the key. If the door is open it is called a push in. Small point.

In answer to your question on how to mitigate this problem. Try having the Bonaire police move off their lazy azzes and do what they are supposed to do. Think that might help? Maybe if they are not part of the solution, THEY **ARE** THE PROBLEM, NOT JUST PART OF THE PROBLEM?

Just leave your rental car windows down and unlock the doors? Right? That's what you said, and is your approach to this ongoing problem. How does that hurt you to do that, you said, and how much trouble is it to just take what you need for that dive? Well, that means you can't take your glasses to see, your sun glasses to shade your eyes, sun tan lotion, defoger, log book, dive bag to hold your stuff, clothes for after the dive, dry bag, locker key, safe key, hotel room key, credit cards . Oh, put that stuff in your BC pockets, you say? Really? That is your answer? That is what you call a relaxing dive vacatin that you wroked hard and saved your money for? Really? You accept that ****?

Do you see our point? You don't have to put up with that. The reason it will never change is because divers like you accept that rotten and unsafe treatment. You all deserve better. Wake up!

gangrel441:
Question on this one...I am assuming you mean their condos were broken in to. Do you know what floor they were on?

See, it was THEIR fault, they got a room on the wrong floor. duh! They need to get with the program and follow your sound advice. You tell em, gangrel.

PF.....I didn't read the whole thread but I'm curious - did you have something stolen in Bonaire?

gangrel441:
Well, apparently you have. What I don't understand is why you keep wasting your time and energy here. You've been there once, you'll never go back because you're unhappy. Why don't you just get on with your life? There are plenty of other exciting places in the world to go diving and get ripped off when your back is turned. You should try a few of them.

How did you get such a quantity of info about me? We don't know each other at all and you really know squat about me or where I have been. No matter.

Wasting energy? You asked why am *I* wasting my time alerting divers to a probelm and you want to know why I'm wasting my time doing that?:shakehead huh?:confused: WHY ARE YOU WASTING *YOUR * TIME TRYINTG TO CONVINCE DIVERS IT'S NOT SO BAD AND TO JUST ACCEPT IT? Oh, yeah, if they become a victim it might have been thier fault. Oh, I see. The victim is to blame . I got ya. Hey, Jethro, you tell ,man!

Back
Top Bottom