Who is using video lights instead of strobes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ConchyJoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I am now an almost 100% believer in using torches instead of strobes. I started using my three Itorch Pro4 1400 lumens video lights on this last trip to Grand and Little Caymen and I am pretty impressed.

What you do:
ISO 800
Shoot shutter priority. I ranged from 80th to 250 to get the aperture I wanted for macro and super macro. 60mm or 60mm and +15, or 14-50 or 14-50 at 50 with +15.
Set the focus to C-AF and the shutter to sequential low. That way the lens continuous to focus in between shots. It is like firing an maching gun! 4 FPS on the EM-5. I had a blast.

This works AWESOME with subjects that don't care about the light. Also you have the opportunity to minimize backscatter because you can see it!

Want to switch to video for that great shot of a slug moving along, no problem!

There are things you can't shoot this way, but I didn't miss it because I was too busy shooting other stuff to worry about it much..

Bye Bye focus light and strobes!

P5111036.jpgP5111058.jpgP5111090.jpgP5120008.jpgP5120011.jpgP5120024.jpgP5120032.jpgP5140047.jpgP5140059.jpgP5140082.jpgP5140095.jpgP5140112.jpgP5160750.jpgP5160803.jpgP5170979.jpgP5171066.jpgP5171134.jpgP5191521.jpgP5191753.jpgP5202067.jpg

Joe,
I just got a Oly em-d5 markII as I am moving up from a Lumix point and shoot. I have been using a Sola 2100f/s and have never used a strobe/s before. All the folks who are strobe users say I need to get strobes. But I am unsure? I have had trouble taking fish pics with the video light but love it for other things. Thinking of getting one strobe and then keep using my video light. Any input on which way to go with lighting? Thanks Eric O

I use two strobes and have a video light mounted on a ball off the housing (OMD EM5 with Nauticam housing). Strobes for stills and video light for spotting during the day, video and night dives. I don't shoot much video btw and my video light is lower end. One good strobe would would work and use the video light. Get a good light that doesn't leave yellow spots on your still photos. They would definitely show on night dive photos. I think almost all lights now are LED not the old filament bulbs anyway. With my setup I cannot get as good color with a video light as I can with two strobes but I intended to primarily shoot still photos from the beginning. Decide which way you want to go primarily - still or video unless the funds are available to satisfy both.

Colodale,
Thank you sir for the help, the jump from point and shoot to full control micro 4/3s is quantum so help is very helpful. I am thinking of buying one good strobe and using my Sola 2000f/s and getting either a Nauticam or sea and sea case depending on which feels better. I am going to Backscatter in 2 weeks and try what I want then buy and dive the next day there. Which lenses are you using? As I hate to pigeonhole myself into either macro or fisheye? Seems like a 14-42mm as I bought the 12-40 f2.8 for topside but it is a heavy and large lens for underwater it seems? I don't really know what to get as I like shooting macro but want to shoot video and scenery too, is there a way to do both all be it a compromise I'm sure???

I use the 12-50 mm and the 60 mm. The 12-50 is a general purpose lens with macro capability though it is not a good as a dedicated prime macro lens which is the 60 mm. You can shoot video with the 12-50mm, has "normal" range and ok wide angle. I have the Nauticam housing which has a knob to change to macro and is located on the lens port. I would assume that the Olympus port has the knob also. Not sure about the Sea & Sea housing. You will need that knob to change to macro. The 12-50 is larger than the 60mm lens but it's still 4/3 so it's smaller than DSLR lens.
I bought the Nauticam housing for durability and added safety (more robust) than the plastic housing. It is heavier and more expensive than the plastic housings.
There are several of us that use the OMD EM5 camera on this board. There are photos, including mine, on the Cozumel forum - trip reports, and I think in this forum using the OMD EM5 with various lenses. See also jlyle posts.
I don't use the 14-42 mm lens so I can't provide any comparison.

Joe,
I just got a Oly em-d5 markII as I am moving up from a Lumix point and shoot. I have been using a Sola 2100f/s and have never used a strobe/s before. All the folks who are strobe users say I need to get strobes. But I am unsure? I have had trouble taking fish pics with the video light but love it for other things. Thinking of getting one strobe and then keep using my video light. Any input on which way to go with lighting? Thanks Eric O
Using video lights does cause problems with some creatures, as they are shy. That is the only challenge I have run into.

---------- Post added October 12th, 2015 at 12:27 PM ----------

I use the 12-50 mm and the 60 mm. The 12-50 is a general purpose lens with macro capability though it is not a good as a dedicated prime macro lens which is the 60 mm. You can shoot video with the 12-50mm, has "normal" range and ok wide angle. I have the Nauticam housing which has a knob to change to macro and is located on the lens port. I would assume that the Olympus port has the knob also. Not sure about the Sea & Sea housing. You will need that knob to change to macro. The 12-50 is larger than the 60mm lens but it's still 4/3 so it's smaller than DSLR lens.
I bought the Nauticam housing for durability and added safety (more robust) than the plastic housing. It is heavier and more expensive than the plastic housings.
There are several of us that use the OMD EM5 camera on this board. There are photos, including mine, on the Cozumel forum - trip reports, and I think in this forum using the OMD EM5 with various lenses. See also jlyle posts.
I don't use the 14-42 mm lens so I can't provide any comparison.
No knob on the Oly case either. 14-42 is nothing compared to the 12-50..

Back
Top Bottom