who likes old bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About 15 years ago I excavated an illegal dump along the Anclote River. I found almost a dozen old Coke bottles stamped Tarpon Springs 1906.

While I was walking the excavator out of the dig area I was checking the track path and saw a clump of dirt that was too round and about the size of a softball. Not liking to run over anything that might damage the machine, I got of to clear it out of the way. When I wiped the dirt away, it turned out to be a glass apple with leaves around the top. I believe it was probably some kind of apple cider vinegar bottle and the stem would have been the stopper. No, unfortunately, the stem wasn't with it.
I bet that there could be some very interesting artifacts that could come out of any old dump site in Tarpon Springs. Lots of helmet diving has been done there and stuff that was brought up and then tossed could be found again.
ZDD

Since this was essentially an old bottle dump there wasn't much else there, but we did dig up several vehicle frames and axles. Thousands of mustard, ketchup and hot sauce bottles plus of course soft drink bottles.

If its bottles you be seeking then set your compus to the old anchorages in yer port. Find the old charts or just try and figure out where would you anchor an old sailing ship. It's best if there is some current in the area that will keep the silt down.

Kick-a$$ bottles there LC joe.

A few of my bottles.

View attachment 154385View attachment 154386
ZDD

Indeed - very nice selection of finds & presentation.

I look mostly in rivers, as it's nice to have some flow to pull the dust away as you scrounge. I've always wanted to set up an airlift system to investigate minutely some of the ( percieved ) dump sites I've stumbled on over the years - anyone ever done that?

DSD

Indeed - very nice selection of finds & presentation.

I look mostly in rivers, as it's nice to have some flow to pull the dust away as you scrounge. I've always wanted to set up an airlift system to investigate minutely some of the ( percieved ) dump sites I've stumbled on over the years - anyone ever done that?

DSD
Hi there DeepSeaDan, sorry but I haven't been on the site for a while. I think you might be better off rigging up a water dredge then an air lift. Air lifts work better in deeper water but a water dredge can work in inches of water. You can even use a jet of water from it to excavate river banks and such.
Diving Equipment Specialties

ZDD

I am the one among those boys who like it !

My husband found a 1941 Coke bottle just outside of the Catalina Dive Park in about 120 feet of water. He cleaned it up and put it in his small bottle collection. He likes to find old bottles as well.
I once found a US Army Calvary Harness while digging through an abandoned barn in NE CO. At the time I was in the process of moving and all of my belongings were in storage so I donated it to the museum at FE Warren AFB, which used to be a Calvary post. They cleaned it up and it's beautifully displayed around the entire museum, draped along the upper part of the walls. The bridles and horse collars turned out incredible when cleaned up, with authentic US Calvary buckles on everything.

---------- Post added July 29th, 2013 at 08:30 AM ----------

I have a page on my web site about bottles I have found. The page is at Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site.
Great collection. I love all the information you give with each bottle.

I started actively looking for them on my Puget Sound dives over the last year or so. I probably miss way more cool ones than I find and I have a couple local guys I ask about bottles and then just did a bunch of google searches and started finding different websites that listed them. It really adds another dimension of fun to your diving and sometimes you find something that looks really cool, but isn't even that old. I think my oldest find so far was an inkwell that was probably from the late 1800s.

Check out the great bottle I found at a river entrance to Portsmouth NH. You can find a video of and pictures at the end of my dive guide video on my YouTube channel divecon42. Enjoy. An old timer told me to find the first settlers who lived on lakes and you should find a lot of artifact, especially bottles

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1395105421433.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395105436539.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395105453758.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395105474382.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395105491257.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395105511683.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395105526403.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395105539984.jpg

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom