Who or What Inspired You to Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went snorkeling almost 23 years ago to this day, for the first time in my life. I was in Key Largo Florida. That's when I knew I wanted to go deeper and stay longer.
:)

shugar:
[*]having the fantasy of inventing an u/w breathing device like what they used in star wars episode 1... i ought to get royalties for that by the way... i thought if that in the 70s!
Jag

Actually, James Bond had one of those in the early 70s, or eve late 60s. IIRC I think the movie was Thunderball. I still want one of those!

For me, things like diving and flying were things I always planned to do "someday".

So in grad school at the U of Illinois, I heard there was a glider club associated with the university, and the next weekend I was in my car looking for the airport. I got my license, and then instructed for a couple years.

After finishing I moved to Los Angeles to work at JPL and one of my collegues at work was a scuba diver. We started talking about it, and at work we had enough interested people that he arranged with the local Sport Chalet to come out and teach a class in the evening after work. We used the local high school swimming pool for the confined water part, and groupd of us got certified through that class.

Because of where we were, most of the students in the class were physics Ph.Ds. Our instructor mentioned he was a bit intimidated trying to lecture us about dive physics and gas laws. :)

The guy who arranged it has since moved back to France and we lost touch, but thanks E. Majani, whereever you are.

nauifins73:
Please, Please if you find that place share it with at least me :) . I have yet been brave enough to take both the scuba gear and the golf clubs on a trip.

Becky

Packing will be kinda hard eh? Think we would have room for clothes?

My friend persuaded me into taking up diving :bigun2: ,(kinda threatened me) so i was like "ok, what the heck", since it was after my finals' and i had 6mths of vacation on hand to spent. So now i've gotten my AOW and cant wait to head back for the water.I wanna get narced....it feels good... :scubadive

We were snorkeling in cozumel and divers dropped in next to us. The next day we did a DSD class. I blame it on coz:)

my son :D he has always loved the water sooooooo much...when he got old enough to get certified I asked him if he would be interested in scuba diving. His eyes lit up and said yes. The next day we went and signed up for classes and took it together. has been a totally awesome experience since.

Like many of those replies posted it was those old TV shows of Cousteau also Seahunt
and perhaps most significantly a series by an Austrian couple called Hans & Lottie Hass.

It was safer to scuba and steal lobsters out of a trap than to do it from a boat..... What can I say???? I was a bored teen. :)

Loyd Bridges on Sea Hunt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom