Who or What Inspired You to Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i can't remember what made me take the classes when i staioned in hawaii, but i did i then let it lapse but still had the memories, then after meeting with a dive club and being setup with a refresher course i am not letting my love of the sport go away, i am in the process of taking classes to improve that so i can enjoy the sport to the fullest

Have always loved the ocean and when I was about 16 went to the Bahamas and discovered snorkeling... which I did about every day. Late in the week I found that there was a resort course which I eagerly took and loved. I'd had a friend in high school that was certified and I was always amazed to hear his stories, but figured diving was about as alien as space travel, so that resort course just got me hooked.

Didn't go back to anywhere there was blue water for a few years until I found myself in Jamaica. I went looking for (and found) a resort course there. Again... even at 20 feet the reef was so much more interesting than from the surface.

Cut to another couple of years later, was going to Puerto Vallarta and went on the resort's website to see if they did the little $100 one-morning course when it occured to me...

Why don't I look into classes up here, then I don't have to waste the morning, I could just go in the water. I did the class up here. Did the referal dives in Puerto Vallarta.

That was two years ago.

I'm now rescue and cavern certified with nearly 200 dives and a couple grand of gear-debt (stupid drysuit) under my weightbelt. So I guess you could say I'm good and hooked.

It is so inspiring to hear all of these stories and to realize that there are a lot of people out there that really prefer the world of innerspace. While I am against Plastic Surgery...I would have to think twice about a GILL OPERATION if it was offered...
Rock On!!!!

I can't remember back when I wasn't diving! I think I was born with the desire after 9 months of diving in amniotic fluid (mother, mother ocean?), so I was born a warm water wussy. Go figure, now that I dive mostly in CA.

Seriously? Me? The early "Sea Hunt" series and Couseau specials, but I had actually started diving in 1961-62.

Is there really anything worth doing "topside?"

Dr. Bill

In the fall 2001, my partner and I were looking forward to a family vacation in the Caribbean (Holiday present from my Mom - thanks!), and our 20th Anniversary trip to French Polynesia in March 2002. We just couldn't imagine those two trips without being able to dive. :)

The Holiday Cruise was great, and had some wonderful "first time in the ocean" dives, but French Polynesia was the trip of a lifetime.

Fun Times...
Scuba-sass :)

Always loved the water. Took a dive course in 74 and a dive trip to Roatan in 75. Hooked after that.

This is the best thread yet !!!
I started with my DAD when I was 9 but really got into it when I was eleven we would do lakes and such in BC and AB it was great. Every weekend it was either diving or climbing or sking and ice climbing. Mom would not let him take us ice diving as the gear and her remembering all the accidents my Dads crew had in Winter peg. Good thing because wholly would that have been cold thanks Mom. No hockey or Football just extreme sports as they call them now.

molksmith:
how did it happen for you?

There were too few waves in the Sulu Sea. Can't surf....may as well try diving. It's almost as fun.

jwdiverdude:
G.I. Joe.
When I was 4 I thought the suits looked cool

Man, I had a G.I. Joe lunchbox with Navy frogmen on the lid. They were swimming around a bunch of mines. Tres cool !!! I think I still have the Thermos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom