Who shoots underwater video with the PDX10?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teksimple

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Sounds like a decent camera when combined with a Gates or Amphibico housing.

The issue is: rather poor low light capability at 7 lux.

My main goal is to shoot closeups of hammerheads in the Galapagos. I have a rebreather, but my experience with video lights and hammerheads is that they freak with video lights.

So do you think a PDX10 is OK at 50 feet (in relatively clear water) without lights?

Thanks for your advice!

(other options include a PD-170, or HD-FX1, but, jeez, with a weight and price to boot!)

teksimple:
Sounds like a decent camera when combined with a Gates or Amphibico housing.

The issue is: rather poor low light capability at 7 lux.

My main goal is to shoot closeups of hammerheads in the Galapagos. I have a rebreather, but my experience with video lights and hammerheads is that they freak with video lights.

So do you think a PDX10 is OK at 50 feet (in relatively clear water) without lights?

Thanks for your advice!

(other options include a PD-170, or HD-FX1, but, jeez, with a weight and price to boot!)

The PDX10 is the pro version of the TRV950. Plenty of people use this camcorder and get great results.

50 ft w/o lights, no problem. As long as you have a red filter (Gates & Amphibico do) you'll be fine. Manually adjust your white balance (Gates & Amphibico can) and you'll be even better.

Thanks ronrosa.

Doing a little more research, I found that the noisy artifacts only come up when the camera's DSP compensates by increasing the gain. Now, I know that you can limit the gain to +6dB by setting the exposure mode to "Sunset and Moon". Is there any reason I couldn't shoot underwater with it in this mode all the time? That way if I start to get low light affecting the performance, the worst that would happen is a darker picture, but no noisy artifacts that might ruin some otherwise decent footage.

Any thoughts?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom