Who to dive with for a beginning Teen on a Cruise layover?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SBP Studios

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Me and my wife have been diving for awhile but our kid just turned 16 and got certified. Time for her first Dives. I want her to start out with some shallow easy Dives. Where would you guys recommend going in Coz and with whom to dive?

We have dove with Blu Angle in the past only and were fairly happy. They emailed us back saying their dives will be around 80-90ft and im not really wanting our daughter diving that deep.

Ideas?

Most ops will do two tanks in the morning; a deeper dive followed by a shallower dive. There are some fine shallow dives to be made, however, Columbia shallows is excellent and Paradise reef, very close to town, is also good, especially for night dives. I'd contact a few other ops and let them know your needs to see if they can accommodate you. Many will require a private divemaster for her first ocean, first drift dives - and this would be an excellent idea to consider even if not required. I don't know if Blue XTSea could accommodate you but you could try them and many other fine ops folks here will recommend.

If you happen to be on Norwegian cruise lines, we just used the ship's scuba excursion. Was very impressed with the operator. Had a brand new 1st time open water diver with me. Started with a 60 foot mild drift dive then Paradise Reef. They kept an eye on the newbies and gave the more experienced ones a long leash.

If you happen to be on Norwegian cruise lines, we just used the ship's scuba excursion. Was very impressed with the operator. Had a brand new 1st time open water diver with me. Started with a 60 foot mild drift dive then Paradise Reef. They kept an eye on the newbies and gave the more experienced ones a long leash.

We are on RC Oasis of the Seas actually. They charge basically 2x as much as booking it online. We rarely book excursion through the cruise line, they beat you up pretty bad on pricing.

The private Divemaster idea is good for a couple of reasons. One is that it'll be her first ocean and first drift dives. Another is that many of the first dives, which are generally 80 foot first dives, can be done at a 60 foot profile too, and with a private DM that's no problem. If you're coming from a ship, you won't be taken to anything advanced, and if you see just one place while you're here, it should probably be a Palancar site. I'm not sure, but I think you can do nice 60 foot dives at any of the 4 Palancars. A private DM will cost an extra $50 or so, but between the 3 of you, it's not near what the cruise ship excursion would run. You might want to run this by Blue Angel and see what they say about a private DM and a 60ft first tank.

-Blair

Me and my wife have been diving for awhile but our kid just turned 16 and got certified. Time for her first Dives. I want her to start out with some shallow easy Dives. Where would you guys recommend going in Coz and with whom to dive?

I've dived all over the Caribbean and my advice for who your daughter should dive with in Cozumel is "nobody".

Cozumel is nearly all drift diving over walls and is not appropriate for a new diver, both from a safety standpoint and from a "she may get the crap scared out of her and never dive again" standpoint.

They emailed us back saying their dives will be around 80-90ft a

Your daughter is a brand new diver and does not belong at 90' on her first dives. Even if they promise you "everything will be OK." Even if they promise you a private DM.

My suggestion would be to schedule some nice quiet shallow dives over a hard bottom in Curacao or Bonaire if you're going there, or make specific arrangements with a dive op on another island for easy dives over a hard bottom.

SCUBABoard is littered with threads about new divers being taken where they don't belong and being scared witless and/or injured and in some cases killed. Don't let the fact that you'll happen to be in Coz be the deciding factor that she should dive there.

What islands are you going to?

flots.

With a private DM she can dive shallower while others go deeper. Palancar sites are great. Another good dive op is Aldora

Aldora.com

i've dived all over the caribbean and my advice for who your daughter should dive with in cozumel is "nobody".

Cozumel is nearly all drift diving over walls and is not appropriate for a new diver, both from a safety standpoint and from a "she may get the crap scared out of her and never dive again" standpoint.

i vehemently disagree. There are many places in cozumel that would be appropriate for a new diver.

your daughter is a brand new diver and does not belong at 90' on her first dives. Even if they promise you "everything will be ok." even if they promise you a private dm.

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that she go down to 90' on her first dives. An private dm at 60' +/- would be a very careful and cautious approach.

my suggestion would be to schedule some nice quiet shallow dives over a hard bottom in curacao or bonaire if you're going there, or make specific arrangements with a dive op on another island for easy dives over a hard bottom.

but, they're not going there.

scubaboard is littered with threads about new divers being taken where they don't belong and being scared witless and/or injured and in some cases killed. Don't let the fact that you'll happen to be in coz be the deciding factor that she should dive there.

littered with threads? Additionally, there are new divers, and then there are new divers. In this case, i think the parent has an idea as to whether his daughter has any aptitude for diving, and how much.

what islands are you going to?

Flots.

imho:)

I've dived all over the Caribbean and my advice for who your daughter should dive with in Cozumel is "nobody".

Response: All walls? Wow, I must have been scared so bad that I did not see them. They can start on the shore side of Palancar sites and progress to the ocean side when she is comfortable. Or just stay near the top.

Your daughter is a brand new diver and does not belong at 90' on her first dives. Even if they promise you "everything will be OK." Even if they promise you a private DM.

Response: Answered by another.

My suggestion would be to schedule some nice quiet shallow dives over a hard bottom in Curacao or Bonaire if you're going there, or make specific arrangements with a dive op on another island for easy dives over a hard bottom.

Response: Plenty of hard bottoms in Cozumel.

SCUBABoard is littered with threads about new divers being taken where they don't belong and being scared witless and/or injured and in some cases killed. Don't let the fact that you'll happen to be in Coz be the deciding factor that she should dive there.

Response: Yes there are some. One from earlier this year was a woman who got separated from her husband buddy...assuming that he was on the dive. With two adult/parent types around and a private DM, she will be plenty safe.

flots.

My responses are above.

Last edited:
Ah, fooey. Get a dive op to promise no 90 feet on the first dive. Krimenee, I have done plenty of deep first dives that didn't break 70 feet. Our first dives after OW were in Coz. Any good dive op won't take her beyond her comfort zone. Many the times on the Maximus we chose not so deep and not heavy current sites because we had newbies or nervies on board. Maybe you can't do that with a cattle boat with a set schedule, but I bet most boutique ops would do it, just like mine. Your biggest danger in her diving Coz is she won't want to go anywhere else. Of course you know you daughter. Did she learn what she was supposed to in certification? Is she the type to suddenly melt down and lose it? If the answers are yes and no, she will be fine.

Try Scuba Alison, BlueXTS, Aldora, Eduardo on the Sea Robin or ScubaTony just to name a few. There are others.

Back
Top Bottom