Who to dive with in NC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NCSCUBADOOBA

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm newly certified and want to do a NC wreck dive July 15th.
Where should I go? I don't want to go too deep, for sure not more than 100'. Which dive op is best to use?
Thanks,
Angela

NCDivers.com has a wealth of information on Wreck diving and also has a wealth of buddies to help you get out there.

I just got back from a trip with Olympus out of Morehead city with some of the people from NCDivers. The trip was good and olympus is a good operation. The wrecks were deep though. There are a few in the shallower range and closer to shore. Just be sure to tell them what you are looking for when you book.

Paula

Do you know what part of the coast you will be visiting, or are you open for suggestions.

Go to Morehead, sign up with Olympus or Discovery and dive the Indra (76' or so to the sand). It is a good introductory NC wreck dive and the ride out isn't so bad.

~Marlinspike

Check out my site on the local diving here, www.wilmingtondiving.com, also check out my buddies page http://members.aol.com/fpsndiver/fpsn4.html. Out of Wilmington there are a lot of sites shallower then 100ft. I have a table with depths and skill level on the "wrecks" link. I work on the local charter boats here in Wilmington so let me know if you have any questions about diving this area.

Pat

Start with the best operator in the area you're going to, and then try more from there. That's if you're going to be an NC "regular." If it's going to be a one time shot, I'd go with Olympus out of MHC or Aquatic Safaris out of Wilmington. Olympus has halfday charters for the July 15th. Call and ask for Lauren, and see what your options are as far as the wreck site goes. You're probably looking at the Indra, Suloide, Hutton ,or the Titan. I can't speak for Wimington, but Aqautic Safaris seems to be the better operator down there.

If you're only diving 1 day, any of the inshore wrecks would be fine. My suggestion if you decide to visit Morehead City/Beaufort would be the Indra. Both Olympus and Discovery run afternoon trips there on summer weekends.

My personal opinion is that Wilmington is a little better for divers who are just getting their feet wet in NC. You can find more wrecks in the 75ft range there, and the ops in that area tend to decide where they are going when you sign up. In other words, you sign up for a particular destination and know what you are getting into instead of signing up for a 'full day' trip where the destination is decided once you're on the boat.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom