Who to dive with in NC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That should be fun! I hope y'all have a great dive!!

packman:
with the wrecks we'll be diving, you might find something to take home...a trinket or a critter.

Come join us...it's going to be a blast!

Nothing fun about removing "critters" from their habitat for your entertainment. Please leave the critters alone and take only trash (some people call these things artifacts) or seashells. Please be responsible and make sure nothing is living in the shells though. Infant octopi commonly live in the shells around NC wrecks, for example.

~Marlinspike

Uhm, when I talk about taking critters, I'm referring to things such as flounder and lobster. No one minds when you take these. And they aren't for my "entertainment", if I'm removing them from the water, I'm going to eat them. As for trinkets, one of our wrecks is a cargo freighter that went down in a storm around 100 years ago with a full cargo load. Divers can still find things like china among the wreck. Shark teeth are also a common find around the wrecks. Personally, I don't care for shells.

If you are newly certified and want to dive in NC, I would recommend Discovery Diving in Morehead City. The other operation, Olympus, is pretty good, but their boats are bigger and there are a lot more divers usually, which can be a little initmidating for a new diver. I've done dives with both operations and I perfer Discovery because they are smaller and there seems to be a bit more attention to the customer. Ask for Captain Leroy at discovery, he's terrific.

I second the opinion that for your first dives in the area, go for the Indra. It is a relatively easy dive, about 76' to the bottom if I recall correctly.

The one thing to remember about diving around there is it can be hit or miss because of the weather.

I find that little octopi are good for paella.

Back
Top Bottom