Who to dive with in Puerto Vallarta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no1rookie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are planning to go to PVR in Sept. and are wondering who to dive with. I remember a long time ago when we went to Vallarta that Chico's was a little shady. Has that changed? Mind you we only snorkeled then.

Thx

Hi there, I just got back to the hotel from diving Las Marietas with Vallarta Under Sea. I can recommend them easily. I set up my trip via the Marriott CasaMagna where I was staying, so being Marriott affiliated, you know that they are a good company. They are also a sport and technical dive training facility.

The boat we went out on was a nice, clean, well equipped, twin-engine boat, and there were 6 of us divers, 2 Dive Masters, and the Captain. The price was very reasonable and the crew spoke very good english. The crew was very helpful and water, sodas, and lunch was included in our 2 tank dive.

The vis today was 40-50' and they tell me that it will get even better in the next couple of weeks. The thermocline is around 60' and the temp above it is in the mid to upper 70's to 80ish at the top. Below the thermocline, the temp dropped off into the 60's. My 5 mil was more than enough for this trip and probably overkill above 60'.

We had two brand new divers/students with us on the trip and they had a blast. They both left the trip making plans to get certified. :)

Lots of great sea life seen including Sea Turtles, Octopus, and plenty of colorful fish.

Their contact info is:
Vallarta Under Sea
Proa Local 24, Marina Vallarta
Tel. (322) 209 0025
vallartaundersea (dot) com

Hope this helps and have a great trip!

John

By September it will be full summer conditions, this includes better viz, warmer waters and lots of great afternoon rain !!

The mountains sorrounding the bay will be very, very lush !!

Alicia Hermosillo (Ali) will be diving those days for sure if you like UW macro photography. Check out some of the posts in the Vallarta dive report thread

gueri25@hotmail.com or Ali here at SB, she has been diving the area for many years especially during her PhD research and is an excellent guide for discerning, capable divers .

1 http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/217590-puerto-vallarta-dive-report-11.html#post4214209

2 http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/217590-puerto-vallarta-dive-report-13.html

The Chimo area was very nice last summer. This is the time of year when I like to take out the scooter for a ride to take divers on a great UW tour around some of the magnificent pinnacles there. The pilot fish usually follow you as if you were a shark or large marine mammal !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0qqyzZrAUE

Last edited:
Hey fellow Calgarian!

I've gone diving several times with Pacific Scuba -- their website now redirects to www.vallartaundersea.com -- and their service has always been very good. A couple of their excellent DMs have moved on to other ops: Alex is now at La Ola Ocean www.laolaocean.com and Paul is now at Bandaras Scuba Republic www.bs-republic.com -- both of these guys are highly recommended! Have fun.

There really should be no question about it. go with PVscuba. Alex and crew are great!
Puerto Vallarta Scuba Diving and Specialty Diving School: PVSCUBA

Read there reports in the link above. My wife and I met Alex two years ago through scubaboard. he was absolutely great. He accommodated our needs with no question, even brought Cesar in to work with a student he had booked so he could take us on some advanced dives. Great service! I'll always call him first when I dive PV!

If you go back in this forum you will find that two dive ops have consistently received great reviews: Alex with Pacific Scuba and Leslie and Nacho with Local Divers. I have dove with both operators on several occasions and highly recommend either of them. One factor that might come into play is where you are staying in PV as it might affect whether or not they can pick you up.

I was in PV in Nov last year. Had a great time with Alex and Ramses. Nice boat, good gear (I saw it be never used it), Steel 100's, good crew and very accommodating.

Did four dives with them over two days. Los Arcos is crowded in the shallows with newer divers and snorkellers, but if you go deep and head to Devil's Canyon its fun and impressive. Las Marietas was also nice and varied with all the caves and the like.

I'll put in another vote for PVscuba. My son and I dove twice last summer with Alex and Rames. Had a great time. Fast, comfortable boat. Small groups. Safe, competent, enjoyable guiding by Rames. We got several specialities with Alex at a VERY reasonable cost as well. Do the Devil's Canyon.

I dive with Alex and Donna at la ola ocean adventures every time I go to PV. Altho its not generally known as a dive destination, I've had incredible dives there that easily rival and outdo the experiences I've had in places like Cozumel and Largo. In fact, I"ve never had more fun than with Donna and Alex. Both are excellent divemasters, and they really know how to give service to their customers. They take into account your experience, air consumption, goals, etc.... And the last couple times I was there, I never had a dive with less than 60 minutes of bottom time -- I swear these guys have gills!!! And I thought I was good with air! If there is someone that is sucking up air, one will take them up and one will keep diving with those with more air. There's none of this crap that "this will be a 45 minute dive" stuff like I've gotten on so many charters.

Anyway, with Alex being a native of PV, he knows the bay like I know my back yard. He always finds the hiding sea creatures, ranging from eels of various sorts to sea stars, octopus, lobsters, turtles, nudibranches, rays, etc.. He knows where the currents are tough, where there is going to be a vis issue, etc, based on weather and rains. Last January when I was there for a week, I told him I needed to see a manta -- it was time. And not only did I get to see one, I got to ride her! She picked us up at about 25 ft and we gracefully flew round and round, deeper and deeper, till we let go (it was toward the end of our dive, so we knew it wasn't safe). She circled around and I swear to God that she looked at us and said, "Don't you want to play any more?", then picked us up again and circled us upward and upward until we dropped off at about 25 ft where she found us. It was the all-time most incredible diving experience I've ever had!!!! And both he and Donna are really good about hearing the whales singing and giving the sign to listen.

I've dove with Paul also, who is now with Banderas Scuba. He's a really good diver, but spends much of his time as an instructor. Personally I always dive with Donna and Alex. I can't speak highly enough of them as a dive op or as people. I know you won't regret it if you go with them. Good boat, good food, good service, good people and great diving all in all.

Have a blast and safe diving!

It is very hard to know who to use at a place where neither you, nor any of your dive buddies have ever been. However, I had read good things about PV Scuba, and have been VERY pleased with how responsive Alex has been in making all of my arrangements. My son and I are scheduled to dive with him over July 4th weekend, and I will be able to give you my report after that. Based upon the experience so far, I am really looking forward to it, and do not expect any problems or disappointments.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom