Who's in Houston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soon I'll be part of this Houston crowd. I'm a little scared of the hot humid weather, but it's closer to Cozumel, my first love.
What should I do as my first "Houston dive"?
And does anyone know if there is any good Thai food, down there?
I can't live without good Thai food.
:sunny:

Natasha...you can find anything and everything in Houston! Some you wish you'd never heard of. I don't care for Thai food but have friends who do.

Don't get your hopes up about the travel from here to Coz. Well, since you're in 'the bidness' maybe you can find a deal but normally airfare from IAH non-stop to CZM is running well over $800pp. In the past we have driven to Dallas to get $199 r/t fares.

Let us know when you get here...we'll have a Texan Neptune get together!

Dee,
Thanks for the reply. Ya know, I've checked the fares a few times and they are always high like you said. I wonder why? You would think with Continental, and Houston being a hub city, it would bring fares down. I wish I knew the answer to this. I just bought air to Cozumel in March from Chicago for under 500.00. It's so weird.
And thanks for the thumbs up on the Thai food. I just love it. And I'm sure a nice coconut cream pie, from 'House of Pies' will be the perfect way to gain weight when I move there!
:sunny:

Natasha,

You need to become and official swamp diver too.

I grew up in the city. You get used to the heat and humidity fairly quickly. You will miss four distinct seasons the most probably. Houston has maybe two, three in some years. SUMMER, and its kinda hard to describe the rest. We look forward to you joining us.

Tom

But I've been told that it's BECAUSE Houston is a hub city that the fares are so high. Being a hub, it's a certainty that all seats to Coz can be filled thru connecting flights throughout the states. So there's no reason to provide the opportunity for reasonable fares to the locals.

I understand the reasoning but I can't say it makes sense.

Our first dive trip to Coz... for 6 nights/7 days, hotel, diving and airfare...was $375 pp!!!! Guess those old days are gone, eh?

Interesting. We're (Chicago) the hub city for United Airlines. They are not higher to say Denver because of being a hub city.
The only thing I can come up with on why it's higher there to Coz, would be because they have no competition. American flies it from Dallas, so that could be why it's cheaper.
But my tickets to Coz, in March, are on Continental, and we stop down in Houston for under 500.00.
It's crazy.
We've given up trying to figure out the airlines, a long time ago.
Dee, I know you go to Roatan almost every year, better prices? I've only been there once but I loved it.
Tom, thanks for the invite into SwampDivers. Mike said I could be a honorary member. Right Mike?

Haven't checked on it...but doesn't matter much right now...earlier in the year I could get an 8 day 7 night air/hotel at Casa Del Mar for $580...and air only was $300 something...and a 4 day 3 night was $341 for air/hotel at Casa Del Mar...I don't have a clue what air tickets cost after the shutdown...afraid to check...may jus drive down...Pemex, here I come!

was for leaving out of DFW in late August...I shoulda sold the kids...they never call anyway....

Sunday week we fly out for Playa....Just bought the wife a camera, (I'm such a considerate guy...) Was the weather decent for you guys? Maybe we can bring back some good photos for posting on the Swamp Page. At least the plane is scheduled to take off on the same day as our reservation, and working at IAH now, I know it'll be a long wait getting checked in. Hope to meet you guys soon, maybe in Oct. we can hit Lake Travis or even sneak up to Sam Rayburn to map a good dive site for Houston Swampsters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom