Who's your buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a tendency to default to a lead position. However, if I am in someone else's stomping grounds, I'd rather have them take the lead. Or if they are obviously on an agenda (find the old boat, take pictures), or much better divers (humm... that would be a rather large group), then I'd just as soon have them lead. Or a frequent buddy who needs a turn. Other than those reasons, I'll usually take the lead.

Many times with my regular buddies we switch off during the dive. We know the dive plan before going under, after that we work with whatever is interesting.

I dived with a regular group of guys. Since one is an instructor and 2 are DMs normally they lead. However I do sometimes get told "and today you're leading the dive". For anything other than that we just work as a pair.

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

Rick Inman:
I have a tendency to default to a lead position. However, if I am in someone else's stomping grounds, I'd rather have them take the lead. Or if they are obviously on an agenda (find the old boat, take pictures), or much better divers (humm... that would be a rather large group), then I'd just as soon have them lead. Or a frequent buddy who needs a turn. Other than those reasons, I'll usually take the lead.

That would be me too ... if I'm diving with relatively inexperienced divers, or divers unfamiliar with the site, I take the lead. If I'm diving with divers of equal or greater experience, the dive is typically planned by the person most familiar with the site. Sometimes this person will lead the dive, but since we usually dive wing-on-wing, that distinction is usually hard to determine.

Good point by Kestrel though ... you really don't want to help your dive buddy become a dependent diver. And that's VERY easy to do when you're diving with a spouse or offspring ... usually with the best of intentions.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My buddy is my wife, and she is also the photographer, both above & below the water. Underwater, sometimes I 'lead' when I find something interesting, other times she 'leads' - neither of us is a 'dominant diver'. We are both confident in each others' ability to self-rescue and / or rescue the other, should the need arise. And, we are both competent and capable of handling our own gear, or assisting one another. I rarely dive with any other dive buddy, and in the USA, doubt I would care to with the way some folks' twist liability issues - most are honest on personal responsibility, but there's always those few, and good luck is not my forte . . .

Above water, my job is to drive the vehicle and hers is to navigate, most of the time, especially when on vacation. I'm the more culinarily adventurous when it comes to dining location and cuisine selections, particularly on vacation. She is more knowledgeable on international travel, and in suitcase packing efficiency, and takes the lead in those arenas.

My wife is my dive buddy and we tend to operate in a side-by-side mode so we can go in any direction, slight variations to the dive plan are easier to negotiate, plus its easier to do a buddy check :)

Paul in VT

[font=바탕]My favorite and worst buddy is my girl so that it is so difficult to go out for diving. There are so many factors we have to deal with, such as weather, water temperature, site environment, etc[/font]…[font=바탕].. (she names it almost everything:() She is a good diver though. She keep nagging a lot. [/font]

[font=바탕]To lead the any kinds of group requires the same amount of tasks. In small organizational arena, no body likes a top down approach in these days, so people prefer a general manager who takes charge of ugly, adverse, or untoward event to a leader who just represents for the group. It is an obvious fact in the recreation or hobby related group. Of course, it is a voluntary position that nobody asks for, but member will eventually figure out and appreciate the task that the general manager does.[/font]

My usual buddy is my wife, too. I usually take the lead (in front) and she follows. I've tried to get her to lead, but she always seems to get behind me. I'll try to slow down, but she just goes slower. But, give her a camera in good viz and I have to look for her...fortunately it's good viz when this happens. She just takes off.

Kestrell, you and your wife should take a rescue class. That should help improve her skills and confidence. It did with my wife. She's very aware of less experienced divers and when they might need some assistance and can provide the assistance. She still follows me, but that's not so bad since she's not that great with a compass either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom