Why 3 pics.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDunbar

Registered
Reaction score
This weekend during a backpacking trip in the Trinity Alps (No. Calif.) my 5050 did something it never has before. I've been playing around with settings, so I'm sure I did something unawares. After I got back I tried to figure out what was going on, and haven't been able to find the answer.

Every time I took a pic., the camera would beep three times and then take the pic. When I was later looking at the shots, I noticed it had taken three pictures each time, with all the same settings. Any idea why? I don't think it was bracketing because all 3 pics. had the same settings. Later in the day I changed the ISO back to "auto," and then I noticed the camera was only taking one pic. per shot.

First thing in the morning it also showed a low battery indication, although I had completely charged the batteries before the trip. I never saw that indication again. It was chilly, but not all that cold. I was up around 7500 ft. I'm just giving you this info. as background. Clue me in if you know why I was getting three for one!

Another question: Do any of you have a good way to protect the on/off switch from accidently being turned on? This has inadvertently happened to me several times.

Oops -- I meant to post this under the "Oly Outlet," so feel free to move it over.

it's moved...

maybe you set some sort of auto three-pic feature?

On your SETUP MENU check your drive setting. It should be set for a single picture. I think you have yours set in multiple frame mode.

Does the 5050 have auto bracketing?

Multiple frame mode -- that makes total sense. I'll check it out tonight.

Now....any suggestions for protecting the on/off dial from inadvertently being pushed over to "on"??

SDunbar:
Multiple frame mode -- that makes total sense. I'll check it out tonight.

Now....any suggestions for protecting the on/off dial from inadvertently being pushed over to "on"??

Item #1 will cost you nothing...No film charge! aint it great ?! :D

#2 isnt as bad because the dang switch is hard enough to get to as it is.

Dive safe and enjoy this addictive habit. :wink:

SDunbar,

You accidentally set the camera into the "bracketing" mode. It will then take 3 frames (3 is the default configuration) in a fairly rapid sequence. One frame over exposed relative to the meter reading, one frame as metered, and one frame underexposed relative to the meter reading.

I recognize the symptoms because it happened to me once.

Wristshot

I'm going to play around with the camera tonight and purposely do both the bracketing and the multi-frame settings. Then I'll know what not to do (or purposely do) in the future. It looked like the settings were all the same as far as aperature, etc. on all three shots, so I didn't think that was it.

Thanks for the info., though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom