Why are Henderson wetsuits inexpensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I noticed a gap in pricing between Henderson's basic 7 mil wetsuit, and other 7 mils. Henderson has their basic wetsuit priced at around $150 new. However, other companies sell their wetsuits for $300 +. Does henderson's pricing reflect their quality?
I'm planning on picking up one of their cheaper wetsuits along with a Hotskin. The total package would run me $180 new from a friend. Is it worth it or should I invest in another wetsuit?
The old AL I'm using now was perfect, but it's about time for her to hit the scuba-grave :/.
If it matters, I do tend to get cold easily. An instructor on the last boat I was on called me "clucks" (referring to a chicken since I move around/shiver due to the cold). He did a nice back-entry off the side of the boat without any of his gear when my hand "accidentally" pressed against his chest...:wink:

I noticed a gap in pricing between Henderson's basic 7 mil wetsuit, and other 7 mils. Henderson has their basic wetsuit priced at around $150 new. However, other companies sell their wetsuits for $300 +. Does henderson's pricing reflect their quality?

You can also spend more than $450 for a Henderson suit. They have different models with different features. If you are comparing one brand to another, make sure you are comparing suits with similar features and qualities.

The $150 Henderson is from their NeoSport line. That is their value play and doesn't have the features of their regular Henderson suits.

The $150 Henderson is from their NeoSport line. That is their value play and doesn't have the features of their regular Henderson suits.
While a value play, they are still excellent wetsuits for the money. I use NeoSport wetsuits in 3mm and 7mm and have no issues. Great quality through and through. Just no bells or whistles.

While a value play, they are still excellent wetsuits for the money. I use NeoSport wetsuits in 3mm and 7mm and have no issues. Great quality through and through. Just no bells or whistles.

That's reassuring. Honestly, I just need something to keep me warm. Cosmetics and extra features aren't a big deal to me.

Thank you, it still seems less expensive than the "value line" found with many other companies.

You can also spend more than $450 for a Henderson suit. They have different models with different features. If you are comparing one brand to another, make sure you are comparing suits with similar features and qualities.

I understand that, but even for a value model, $150 is still a killer deal compared to other wetsuits under the same value-priced category

Probably does not have glued and stitched seams and does not have a neoprene skin barrier on the inside of the zipper to minimize water exchange. Seams that are only stitched allows water exchange also and is not as warm as a suit that is glued and stitched. If this is their 3mm , for only $50. more you can get a 3mm henderson thermoprene that has these features

If you are referring to the Neosport line by Henderson, I've found the wetsuits to be of poor quality. One deteriorated in less than 25 dives, the other developed LARGE holes in the crotch and armpits (and the overlying fabric was undamaged so I didn't notice initially). Howevert, I have had Neosport booties that seem fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom