Suggestion why block solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Flamebug818

Flamebug818

Reaction score
Southern california all ways want a dive buddy
# of dives
50 - 99
im sure u have ur reasons but blocking solodivers seems to be a bad idea. If you have every other crazy dive speciality *cough* cave, tech*cough* both of which seem much more dangerous than solo diving y not solo? it seems like it would just lead to dishonesty inorder to access the fourm. Why is it different knowing about something can't be bad. Besides reading about it might convince people to get properly trained.
just my 2$ (couldn't find cents)
cheers
flamebug

sure thing

Solo diving is an extremely risky activity that requires a level of education and redundancy above almost anything else. Because of the risk associated with this practice we feel it is necessary to warn users prior to their discussing the subject. It is easy for a new diver to find out information about solo diving without being made aware of the potential dangers if we have an open forum on the subject. For this reason we keep this area behind a public group -- it takes only a minute or two to join but in the process users are giving us some indication that they are at least aware of the potential hazards.

Tech Admin:
Solo diving is an extremely risky activity that requires a level of education and redundancy above almost anything else..

I would argue substituting wreck, cave, deep, for solo, provides an almost perfect fit for your analogy.

Tech Admin:
Because of the risk associated with this practice we feel it is necessary to warn users prior to their discussing the subject. It is easy for a new diver to find out information about solo diving without being made aware of the potential dangers if we have an open forum on the subject. For this reason we keep this area behind a public group -- it takes only a minute or two to join but in the process users are giving us some indication that they are at least aware of the potential hazards.

I don't want to put words in your mouth, But tell us, what is the "real" reason. I can't argue with your right to make a decision you deem fit, only with flawed analogies as above.

When it came time to add a solo diving forum there was a good deal of push not to have one at all. However, we felt it was important to allow for the discussion of this portion of diving but informing people, especially new divers as to the dangers is an equally compelling objective. That is the one and only reason, the "real" reason and the bottom line. You are welcome to suggest whatever you feel can improve the board for you, but I don't foresee us removing the user group limitation for the solo diving forum, from our end it is an ideal way to help protect our users and there is no spin to that.

Tech Admin:
When it came time to add a solo diving forum there was a good deal of push not to have one at all. However, we felt it was important to allow for the discussion of this portion of diving but informing people, especially new divers as to the dangers is an equally compelling objective. That is the one and only reason, the "real" reason and the bottom line. You are welcome to suggest whatever you feel can improve the board for you, but I don't foresee us removing the user group limitation for the solo diving forum, from our end it is an ideal way to help protect our users and there is no spin to that.

Having started the thread requesting such a forum I am well aware of the resistance. I also thank Scubaboard for acknowledging all legitimate expressions of dive styles or disciplines. Again, your concerns about due warning are as applicable to cave, wreck, and deep. It is your right to be biased. I do wish you would show as much concern for those who may come across other dangerous dive disciplines. Wink, wink.

Scuba, be assured that I will pass your thoughts along to our supervisor staff for their consideration. Thank you for your suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom