Why did you start Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not really, but she lived in Cozumel for a while and kept telling me how great diving was when she moved back to the states. We planned a vacation in the Caribbean and I did my book/pool work before we left and finished my OW dives down there.

Been hooked ever since...

SinceSince I was a kid going on vacation to Florida with my folks I’ve loved snorkeling and did it when ever I had the chance.
A couple years ago I was in Maui and the resort I was at had a free scuba class in the pool and if you liked it you could pay an instructor to take you into the ocean. I was hooked, the coral was beautiful and I got to see a sea turtle. I also liked how easy scuba was compared to snorkeling.
The year later my wife gave me a surprise Christmas gift of scuba lessons, been into it since.

I always wanted to explore ever since i was a kid and i used to watch Cousteau every sunday night without fail, then adult life catch me and i got busy in life, it was always on the back of my mind, something i would do later..........then my wifes best friend died at 31 of a brain anerzim sp??? and it got me thinking,
so at 30 i got certified (sep 2001) And i LOve it.....

After high school studies, was bumming around before furthering my education. Mum and Dad decided to make me get a life or do something useful. Literally forced me to take up scuba diving lesson from the LDS (friends of theirs).

The biggest mistake of their lives...!

After the Open water course, I refused to further my studies as I was addicted to diving and seriously wanted to become a Dive Instructor or beach bum.

Have to thank them though.......as they were very supportive on the later stage. Also did continue further studies later to please them.

Grew up in California, watched Jaques Cousteau, swam like a fish since infancy, and am entranced by the ocean. I guess it was just natural then with those influences to want to learn to dive. Unfortunatly I never had the opportunity to act upon my dream until after I divorced and had the time and money I didn't have before. Now I do and plan to dive for the rest of my life at every opportunity.
:sun:

Originally posted by diverguybcca
I was bored one day and happened to pass a scuba shop.

Got into this thread late.

What would have happened if you passed by a sex shop? <G>

I got into it for 2 reasons.

First, I grew up just loving water, and anything to do with water, from boating, skiing, snorkling, wind surfing, etc. So ever since I was a kid I dreamed of diving and taking it to the next level.

Plus I have another very addictive, and equally expensive hobby of keeping reef aquariums. I'm suprised no one else has mentioned this reason before. So the thought of being able to see so many of the creatures in my aquarium in the wild is a huge thrill.

I got certified the year after I graduated from school and could afford it.

Darryl

Originally posted by dvleemin
I got into it for 2 reasons.
So the thought of being able to see so many of the creatures in my aquarium in the wild is a huge thrill.

Sorta like living the "what if I could swim in there! :)

Now that I've seen the direction this thread has taken, perhaps
I should add a bit. I mentioned how I knew I'd get hooked, I
didn't actually mention what made me take the plunge.

We had a little rewards program at work, and one of the
rewards was a month off after 5 years of service. I had 7
so I was elegible at my next anniversary. So I took a month
off and it was a convenient time to focus on it. Of course I
didn't go anywhere exotic, I just took it locally.

A friend of mine who has been certified for about 7 years had
been pretty inactive in his diving for lack of a buddy. He's got
a boat and parents with a house on Cape Cod, and I've spent
a ton of time down there. He's had a recreational lobster trap
license for a few years, and we've done a lot of lobstering. He
started experimenting with his trap placement around a
shipwreck in the bay, and started getting traps wrapped around
the wreckage. He needed a buddy to go trap salvaging with
him.

Lastly was my non-diving marine biologist wife. We seperated
and I thought it might be a good thing to try and bring us back
together. Like Sunrae, that's the other occurance that gave
me the free time to persue it. It didn't work, but at least it
gave me something to do to get myself out of the house!

-Jeff

Like a lot of folks, I was addicted to Sea Hunt, Jacques Cousteau and of course Flipper as a youngster. I've always wanted to scuba. As a matter of fact, when I was five my favorite toy was a little toy scuba tank my dad made out of an old oat meal box, and the hose was from one of those old timey hair dryers. I loved it and remember it to this day. However, my plans of taking lessons were thwarted when I was about eleven our neighbour was killed in a spear fishing accident. I don't remember the particular details, but I think he was tangled up beneath an offshore oil rig or the bottom of the boat or something. Anyway, that put a halt to all talk of scuba lessons. Then I went to Isla Mujeres and Xel Ha and was very dissatisfied with the limitations of snorkeling, so I finally figured I would go ahead and learn how to dive. It's a must.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom