Why dive in a quarry? Should you log them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Granted I'm a newbie, but I would equate any body of water where you putting in dive time as something that would be logged. Besides pool time as others have mentioned. We didn't learn that if only XYZ are present, then it's logged. Or if you are in a certain body of water, only that's logged. There are pretty intense dives in our great lakes, some say more so then what you'd encounter in warmer climates. To me it comes down to who cares what type of water it is as long as I am having a good time whether it be learning new things or seeing what's around me or not around me. Some people get off on cold, dark and deep while others like good viz and more too see. To each his own. Go dive:)

I agree that the dives done by quarry divers are more challenging than those done by clear water holiday divers. But I also feel that the dives done in the cold oceans with varying conditions and strong currents are more challenging than those done by the quarry diving fraternity. Ice diving is again more difficult than all of the above.

Does it really matter though? It's just diving and breathing compresses gas. It's not a competition and people should just do what they enjoy.

It only matters when someone comes along and throws out the generalization that diving in the sea is more challenging than diving in a quarry...

After learning more about the vast differences among different quarries, another question comes to mind. Are any quarry dives considered "confined water" or "closed water" dives? (As opposed to "open water" dives) And what is the criteria differentiating the two?

I always thought an open water dive was outside of a pool. Never really worried about more details. This isn't a courtroom or anything :-D

My quarry and lake training more than prepared me for diving in the Ocean. Not because of the challenges but because the instructor chose to pass on the information I needed to make an assessment of whether the dive was within the limits of my training and experience.
RSTC Guidelines say absolutely nothing about conditions in which one trained being a determining factor in what environments they should dive in after the cert. What they do say is that a diver should be able to dive with a buddy of equal training and experience without the guidance of a professional.
Given that, all dives get logged in some way or another depending on the dive. Some are logged now in my notebook. Others get written down in an actual dive log when there is a need to do that. As an instructor, I am supposed to be a role model. Every agency I am aware requires the instructor to have students log their training dives.
For an instructor to state publicly that they don't believe in logging every dive, or that some dives should not be logged because they are not "real dives", is an instructor that I would not want to train with or allow a loved one to train with. What other information are they now deciding is not important?
I train in quarries, I train students in quarries. Many of whom are going to dive the Great Lakes with similar conditions. Or like I did early on are going to go to a warm water location with up to 10X the vis they trained in. To say that quarry divers need extra training is not true. If they were trained right in the first place. That includes giving them the knowledge and the tools to decide if an ocean dive is beyond them.

After learning more about the vast differences among different quarries, another question comes to mind. Are any quarry dives considered "confined water" or "closed water" dives? (As opposed to "open water" dives) And what is the criteria differentiating the two?
To answer this question as defined by PADI....

The differentiation only matters when doing instruction. Diving on your own, there is no reason to differentiate between the two. Some diving instruction has to be done in confined water, meaning either a pool or open water that has characteristics that are pool-like in terms of depth, clarity, water movement, etc.

Last edited:
To say that quarry divers need extra training is not true. If they were trained right in the first place. That includes giving them the knowledge and the tools to decide if an ocean dive is beyond them.

If they don't need extra training because they were trained right - why are you telling people diving in those conditions is beyond them?

I'm not knocking quarries here. I'm saying that they do not prepare people to dive in strong surge and currents. That seems like common sense to me.

I have nothing against diving in quarries, however, I don't think it is appropriate preparation for for drift diving in SE FL.

I have nothing against diving in quarries, however, I don't think it is appropriate preparation for for drift diving in SE FL.
Curious - how do you prepare for drift diving beyond actually doing it. I get some learning of proper procedures and dSMB deployment - but the real key is actually doing it with experienced buddies or a DM guided group after you have the diving basics down. I've done a number of drift dives, but have had no formal drift dive training - I "learned" through experience and watching others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom