Why do I get this light ring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's the reflection of the rim of your lens bouncing off the inside of your housing lens port, and back into your lens. Use a Sharpie to color this rim around the camera lens black.

Ok, I'll give that a try and see what happens. I figure that it's gotta be something that is flashing back into the lens and since the lens is able to zoom back & forth in its own space, what you're suggesting makes sense.

I just tried a new nikon l22 in a Ikelight case , had the same problem . Nikon suggested to zoom out a little. The reflection didnot appear if I did this

I've not zoomed "in" so I can't zoom "out" at all.

Hi Francousteau,
In case you don't succeed with the other suggestions, Inon got some small red plastic pads, called "clear photo film" and can be taped on to the camera flash. It will only let the infrared light pass, which is enough to trigger your external flash , but should prevent any visible reflections from happening.
It also helps you avoid some backscatter that can appear on your pictures, when light from the internal flash lits up particles in the front/side of your camera.

I use it myself and no visible light escapes from the internal flash

Francousteau,
I have the Ikelite housing and strobes and ran into the same problem. I found at least on my set-up that I had a small gap where the camera and the hole for the lens meet. Because of this, the internal flash was bouncing off the inside lens on the housing. I took the velcro tape with the black foam that came with the housing and cut a small 1/2" X 3" strip and applied it to the top of the hole nearest the camera on the housing. This allowed no light in where the camera part of the housing attaches to the lens part of the housing and didn't interfere with the lens of the camera itself. You might want to see if your set-up has this same gap. I haven't had any issue since I made the fix. Hope this helps!

It's the reflection of the rim of your lens bouncing off the inside of your housing lens port, and back into your lens. Use a Sharpie to color this rim around the camera lens black.

+1 on this- Sealife had a similar problem and made some matte finish tape rings to cover the end of the lens and stop the reflection. I did the same thing with a black magic marker before getting the tape fix which worked, but the tape looks better.
Sealife thread: reflection

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom