Why does Dive Rite recommend braided hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaveSloth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was looking at the threads here about rubber vs braided hoses and was leaning rubber but then my teacher said Dive Rite recommends braided hoses which come by default with their regulators!?!?!

I guess their technology on the hoses is called "Airflex". It's good right?

Last edited:
My Dive Rite XT regs did not come with braided hoses.

I don't use braided hoses on anything.

Several years ago, braided hoses were all the rage. They were sold as being more durable and overall superior to rubber hoses. After several recalls and diver experience with hose failures of various types, the idea of braided hoses has lost its luster. I'm not sure about Dive Rite, but I do recall one large on line dive gear outlet recommended them as better than rubber hoses. They no longer do so.

Personally, I've had more failures with braided hoses of various makes than I ever had with rubber hoses. The few braided hoses I have are gradually making their way out of my kit via attrition, replaced with rubber hoses--I won't ever buy another braided hose unless its the only one left in the shop and I really need a replacement. One thing I really hated about braided hoses is how rough they are on the neck for those of us who dive a long hose or run stage reg hoses behind the neck.

Get yourself some good quality rubber hoses--you won't be disappointed.

Well, my instructor already ordered my regs kit with his and DiveRite's recommended Airflex hoses including a 7 footter. I guess I will learn first hand what I like, and will replace hoses as I see fit. Thanks.

There are good quality braided hoses out there, and I'm sure there are people who are big fans--I'm just not one of them. There are advantages--they are probably more cut resistant than rubber, but they haven't lived up to the longer life claim as far as I can tell. Some of the inner liners degrade prior to failure and can block the flow of air. As in any endeavor, buyer beware! The links below are to some Alert Diver articles on hoses, a scubaboard thread(with arguments for and against), and a NOAA page where they acknowledge some of the problems with the braided hoses.

Alert Diver | Air Hoses: A Closer Look

Alert Diver | Invisible Crystals

Rubber vs Braided Hoses

Problems with Flexible Braided Hoses | Office of Marine and Aviation Operations

All regulator hoses are braided.....................
Some you see the braiding, some it's underneath and you don't.

I'd look at the crimp attachments to the hose personally.

Saw these two vids the other day.

He certainly makes some good points, but the problems aren't from the remote past. The Alert Diver and NOAA pages referenced above are from 2017/2018. The truth is, the quality of the braided/flex hoses is manufacturer and materials dependent, as with rubber coated hoses. The price of flex hoses has dropped considerably, and there really isn't that much difference between the price of a rubber covered hose and a flex hose these days, probably because of competition from hoses manufactured in China. Oh, and rubber hoses aren't just available in black. You can get lots of colors if that's your thing.

Your choice of flex/braided hoses vs rubber covered is largely a personal one. For me, I don't care for the roughness of the outer braiding. Athough they are definitely lighter, long flex hoses tend to be "floaty" and unruly in the water. As I said earlier, I've experienced more hose failures with flex hoses, even new ones from the supposed reputable manufacturers, but I suppose I could have simply had a run of bad luck in that regard.

If you dive a 7 foot primary longhose, don’t use braided hoses. Here’s just no point in general

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom