Why does everyone say the snorkel is useless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pw1981:
Your statement presupposes a falsehood as well. My level of experience or inexperience is wholly irrelevant to the question asked. :06:

In saying "every one" I was implying, though apparently not as obvious as I thought, that almost everyone here at SB seems to say they are not necessary. This thread has, as I had hoped, produced some other opinions. :crafty:
The phrase in your experience didnt mean dive experience, it meant sample pool, ie how many people you have heard this from, although not the best word to describe it, it is relevant - however i would concur that well over three-quarters of the active members on this board dive without snorkels almost all the time. That is not the case of every diver however - i just happen to be part of that sample pool :wink:

Its become fashionable lately to be vehemently opposed to wearing a snorkel. Its simply not cool to wear one and sheep will be sheep....

Personally I think its foolish to allow inexperienced divers to get in the water without one and I also think that anyone who openly discourages snorkel use is helping to bring down the level of safety within the diving community.

Get 500 or so dives under your belt, then start thinking about going without some of your safety equipment, don't do it with 5 dives, or even 50.

WW

One more place a snorkel would have been nice. Shore dive this morning, had to navigate over, through and under kelp forrests. Ever tried that on your back, that stuff will tie you down.........

Why should it matter what other people say. You find your snorkel useful and want to use it, go ahead. Most people only pole fun at or ridicule others because they dont have the internal fortitude to stand up and do what they feel is best.

pw1981:
Why does everyone seem to say that the snorkel, especially the dry snorkel, is a useless item?

I use my snorkel all the time on beach dives. I have, on occasion, made surface swims to dive sites almost a half mile out. The snorkel is invaluable on those unless you want to waste air.

What is the talk about the snorkel being useless?

I do not use a snorkel at all. My wife uses a snorkel on all dives. The snorkel she uses is a simple rubber tube that contours nicely; no purge, no splash guard. She learned how to snorkel dive before she learned SCUBA. Not once have I seen her grab the snorkel rather than the BC hose. I've also not seen her begin a descent with the snorkel in her mouth.

:baaa: :fruit:

Shore entry in Heavy Kelp...Let's say "Butterfly House" in Carmel at the end of summer. You litterally have to crawl/swim over the Kelp. A stowable is awesome and you don't have to waste air from your tank. When your done just crunch it up an stick it in a pocket. Definately not useless.

Also a stowable is great in the tropics.

I am somewhat of a newbie (AOW for a year now) so take this for what it's worth. I have used my snorkel on every dive I've made to date. I don't find that it gets in the way (I use a very simple, low profile one) and have never noticed drag because of it.

My opinion is, better to have it and not use it than want it and not have it. If it is creating a problem for you though, then don't wear one but at least stow one.

3dent:
The first thing I learned on this board is that with a 3 minute search you can find 30 people adamantly against your favorite piece of gear, no matter what it is.

Well, I'm kinda partial to my tank/cylinder. :eyebrow:

(Couldn't resist.)

Sideband:
My inflator hose and snorkel are about the same diameter and are both the corrugated texture. I know I looked like a complete idiot this afternoon as I placed my reg in my mouth, raised the mouthpiece of my snorkel over my head and proceeded to float in place.

Don't feel bad. I think everyone I know has done this at least once.

Marc

Back
Top Bottom