Why does ScubaBoard need Google Trackers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's nothing, half of this crap is actually JavaScript, which is executable code written by some outstaffer in Mumbai and executed by your browser on your computer. And the Mumbai guy didn't write it all himself, he just put it together from some libraries he found on the web...

The site is really a PITA with browsers that help us maintain some sort of online privacy.

For example using DuckDuckGo as soon as the browser kills Google's tracker the site crashes.

What gives? Why does ScubaBoard need to use a Google tracker?
I have not tried the DDG browser, but Apple Safari seems to be able to block the trackers without crashing the site. So is this an issue with the site or with the DDG browser?

1640663112125.png

where to put more ads if you depend on ad revenue
Follow the money. More views equates to higher ad rates. No matter what you call it anything that can prove the number of views will allow the site owner to charge more money for their ad space.

I'm all for SB getting ad revenue, the problem is ads containing javascript that steals your bank account details, rapes your dog, burns your house down, and dances limericks on the ashes. Ad servers usually screen for this sort of thing and every once in a while some nasty gets past their screens.

If you allow pictures by default in your email reader, the sender can insert tracking pixels to know if you read the email.

You may care about this too @lowviz

I'm all for SB getting ad revenue, the problem is ads containing javascript that steals your bank account details, rapes your dog, burns your house down, and dances limericks on the ashes. Ad servers usually screen for this sort of thing and every once in a while some nasty gets past their screens.
*hides my dog*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom