Why does the apeks tek 3 set face down? Vs two xtx200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

211ratsbud

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I see this less than optimal. All of my hoses dead head into the wing and put awkward bends near the crimps.

Instead I think I will buy two xtx sets and have the hoses come out of the reg in a direction relevant to their intended destination.

Thoughts?

1st stages with 5th ports are a better alternative such as the XTX50 (DST) with the 5th port option, The HOG D1 (comes standard w/ the 5th port) or the Scubapro MK25. The XTX 200 can be equipped w/ a 5th port also.

Something from the UTD forums to illustrate the point:
thportgood.jpg

Good point. I'll be staying with apeks. The xtx has a 5th port option. I'll check that out. I'm a key man, which I hope helps lol.

Price-performance wise, the Apeks DST is the sweet spot unless you have money to burn :). The XTX200 5th port is also kinda hard to find unless you are in Europe.

Price-performance wise, the Apeks DST is the sweet spot unless you have money to burn :). The XTX200 5th port is also kinda hard to find unless you are in Europe.

Well. Challenge accepted! I appreciate the help too sir!

Reactions: Pao
For Tec diving in doubles, I use US4s for Backgas. No problems with hose routing and less expensive than a DS4 or DST. The US4 delivers the same quality and reliability as any Apeks first stage regs. The DST's are good for Deco bottles if your hose lengths are 39' or 40'. You can also use the inexpensive US4 for stages and decos but a 44' hose is preferred vs the 40'.

If you dive in waters >10c, you can use the US4. They're identical to the DS4 except they're not environmentally sealed. Unless you dive in frigid waters <10c, the non sealed US4 will do the job as well as the DS4 for much less money. They're easier to service as well. The marketing hype of "environmentally sealed" is just that. You don't need sealed regs in warm waters.

you can get the 5th port for the XTX200, but the swivel is much better. As soon as you have to do single file air sharing, having the ability for the long hose to swivel forward makes all the difference in the world in terms of diver comfort.

XTX50+DST is the only Apeks reg I would recommend to anyone, for any sort of primary tank, single/double/sidemount. For stages and deco bottles the XTX50/DS4 if my normal recommendation since they're a bit more compact.

Back
Top Bottom