Why doesn't the USA adopt officially the metric unit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man I just waded thru all this - WOW.

My viewpoint is simpler. If it is something that would affect the image of THE DUKE badly - it can't be good.

Picture the scene John swaggers into the saloon. Pushes aside the traditional Bat wing swinging doors. Pausing inside, he defiantly glares around the dark, dank interior of the saloon - missing nothing as usual.

Finally he approaches the bar, bellows at the bartender.....

"GIMME A 45ml OF WHISKEY!!!!".

Somehow it just looses something!

Man I just waded thru all this - WOW.

My viewpoint is simpler. If it is something that would affect the image of THE DUKE badly - it can't be good.

Picture the scene John swaggers into the saloon. Pushes aside the traditional Bat wing swinging doors. Pausing inside, he defiantly glares around the dark, dank interior of the saloon - missing nothing as usual.

Finally he approaches the bar, bellows at the bartender.....

"GIMME A 45ml OF WHISKEY!!!!".

Somehow it just looses something!
If the british had their way, it would be more like "GIMME A CUPPA TEA! LOTS A MILK 'N SUGGA!!!"

Heck, I'm a scientist so I have to work in both units of measure. What's the big deal?

Hey I'm mostly Swedish and Norwegien :viking: :viking2:

Missed the last few pages and don't feel like wading through it- Just confirming we have now offered sufficient proof that the metric system is a commie plot?

The Best Thread EVER......

Where to start, hmmmmmm.......

Kim, Every machine I've installed that was manufactured in japan was made with US trade sized electrical conduit, and it just has a "electrical designator" sizing- rounded to closest whole mm. Based totally on our dated pipe sizing and thread design. Ain't conquest Grand?

As far as the frenchies are concerned, they have had a wonderful influence on art, cuisine and adult beverages, especially at Mickey D's- Le Big Mac.....perfect. I particularly like purchasing their guns, never fired and only dropped once. Or, why do the french plant trees on the sides of their roads? Because they don't want the Germans to be grouchy (from marching in the sun all day) when they reach Paris.

The National Electrical Code has both US trade and Metric measurements.

The US military uses the metric system in almost everything, it's absolutely necessary due to our NATO allies' reliance on easy, mind numbing decimal swaps.

I believe the fact that the entire infrastructure of the US is based entirely on the imperial system is the reason we have not metricized. All building materials such as bricks and wood are made to a standard size that should remain the same. Re-naming them to a metric designation will further confuse the issue.

I'd have to say that many immigrant workers have the answer to all the trouble, they just turn the measuring tape over and make a pencil mark on it, hands the tape to the guy cutting the drywall, then the next guy makes the cut, erases the mark and hands it back. Problem solved.

Much more fun than Splits Vs Jets, good read!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom