Why don't more dive shops display more (any?) BP/Ws?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many purchase an Eclipse right out of open water. Some rent our SP Glide Plus jackets so they can compare the two. You know what most say? They like the freedom and simplicity of the Eclipse. The jacket is too confining they say. My students say that, not me. We sold three Eclipse's this week... Not every student will purchase a plate and wing, they're not for everyone. I will tell you this, for every 10 Bc's we sell, 7 are plates and wing's. Most people understand value, and when you present a customer with the value and flexibility of a plate and wing vs a jacket, the plate and wing sells itself. :palmtree: Bob

I wish I had a dive shop like yours around me. I am forced to purchase my backplate setup online because the local shops around me don't want to hear the term backplate and wing and try to change my mind when I mention that I want that setup to dive. I sure would like to purchase equipment from the ones that trained me but I'm tired of being treated like I don't have a clue what I need when I go there. So it looks like I'll buy what I want somewhere else and probably be treated like #$&% when I show up for an advanced class having not bought my equipment from the LDS.

About 250,000 basic certs per year. If we had a million new divers per year the SCUBA industry would be 4x the current size.

I have read throgh this thread and i have to agree that most shops have an issue with selling bp/w but most are throgh "ingnorance" other than actual dollar. Our local shop sells about 70% backplates and wings from 5 manufactuers and about 30%bcd and usaly only by request and oppositon from the staff :).To the point were they are stocking almost no jacket style bcd's and the ones on display usualy have 1/2 an inch of dust on them.

Some of my friends have asked to rent backplates from other shops and we usaly get well thats tech gear we cant rent that due to liabilty . And buying them is even harder they always try to sell you these garbage back inflate bc's.

Most of the students buy back plate and wings rite out of open waters due to fact that the instructors are to wear these mandatory wile teaching any course .\

Im glad i have such a good shop near by That is run buy experianced divers (manager is advanced cave diver and level 2 trimix instructor.)

Dan's Dive Shop Index | Ontario Scuba Diving Stores | Ontario Scuba Diving Courses | Technical Diving Equipment and Courses|

I have read throgh this thread and i have to agree that most shops have an issue with selling bp/w but most are throgh "ingnorance" other than actual dollar. Our local shop sells about 70% backplates and wings from 5 manufactuers and about 30%bcd and usaly only by request and oppositon from the staff :).To the point were they are stocking almost no jacket style bcd's and the ones on display usualy have 1/2 an inch of dust on them.

Some of my friends have asked to rent backplates from other shops and we usaly get well thats tech gear we cant rent that due to liabilty . And buying them is even harder they always try to sell you these garbage back inflate bc's.

Most of the students buy back plate and wings rite out of open waters due to fact that the instructors are to wear these mandatory wile teaching any course .\

Im glad i have such a good shop near by That is run buy experianced divers (manager is advanced cave diver and level 2 trimix instructor.)

Dan's Dive Shop Index | Ontario Scuba Diving Stores | Ontario Scuba Diving Courses | Technical Diving Equipment and Courses|

Pretty amazing, a shop stocks BP&W's, has a staff that dives and understands BP&W's, and they actually outsell jackets. Who'd a thunk it possible. :wink:

Tobin

Pretty amazing, a shop stocks BP&W's, has a staff that dives and understands BP&W's, and they actually outsell jackets. Who'd a thunk it possible.

I would have. A good salesperson can sell pretty much anything.

Most of the US has perfectly good tap water. Some of it is excellent, yet bottled water is a huge industry.

Terry

New Horizons, Lexington, Kentucky has many jacket / rear inflate BCs hanging on the wall. But the mannequin standing at the door that "welcomes" customers is often wearing a Halcyon bp/w rig.

Pretty amazing, a shop stocks BP&W's, has a staff that dives and understands BP&W's, and they actually outsell jackets. Who'd a thunk it possible. :wink:

Tobin

How's that relevant? If I have more coffee on the shelve and cater to coffee drinkers I would expect to sell more coffee than tea right?:wink:

They also actively sell long hose and bunged octo under the neck and also have some in rental. I think they are really ahead of the curve in offering. Good gear and being to pass along personal experiance. I really believe in the theory of starting with a fully kitted advanced cave/tech diver and removing the gear that you dont need to bring it to a novice level diver.

I really think the future of diving is in the bp/w. And i can see growing in aceptance even at the vacation diver level

Tobin btw They have some dss plates on display also :)

How's that relevant? If I have more coffee on the shelve and cater to coffee drinkers I would expect to sell more coffee than tea right?:wink:

Unless your shop is operating in a region like Asia where almost everyone drinks tea and almost nobody drinks coffee :D

Back
Top Bottom