Why don't they have ScubaPro Days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juls64

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
or DiveRite Days, or Dacor Days, or whatever. They do this for DUI and some other drysuit companies, but do they do it for just general scuba equipment companies? How many people get on this board and ask about buying a BCD for example, and people give them recommendations, but how are they suppose to try the stuff out? Not all dive shops have stuff to try. Ours has only the lower end equipment for classes.

People suggest BP and wings here all the time. Are there Halcyon Days at the local quarry to try them? Not in my neck of the woods.

Sorry, this has turned into a rant kind of. You get the idea though.

It would be cool if Pearl Lake (which is close to me) would have manufacturer Expo day. I would go there and get to try split fins if I wanted, or a Dive-Rite Transpac II, or whatever. I know they have something similar at Our World Underwater, where you can try some stuff in the pool, but it isn't exactly the same.

Just something I think about when I see some equipment that looks interesting, but I would like to try it before I buy it.

Julie

It's a good thought, but the company has to be willing to lay out the money. DUI spends an incredible amount of money doing their demo days, and hauls an even more incredible amount of gear, tents, tables etc. all over the country. That's something they chose to do. I think it's great. Also. at Gilboa, the same day the DUI days were going on there was a DIR demo with MHK, and he did have some Bp/wing set-ups that were free to try.
I would say that if you interested in trying something, hit up the LDS with that gear and see if you can take it for a spin. Doesn't hurt to ask.
BTW, what's up with the vis at Pearl? It's like diving in a glass of skim milk.

Dive-Rite does do demo Days!!

Check the calender on their website here

Also DUI relys on a lot of volunteer help from their dealer network.
I've never been to a Dive Rite demo days, so I don't knoiw if that works the same way.

:)

I have to e-mail them to do one closer to me. We looked at the Transpac II at OurWorld Underwater. It would be great to try it first.

Dive Rite does demos.

Everyone needs regs and a BC, but a lot of people don't see the benefit of a $1500+ drysuit.

I agree! The Scuba Industry is really lagging behind others. I really think the Scuba Industry does a poor job of trying to grow the sport. Also, compared to other industries, they are horrible in promoting their products to the consumer, and even worse at programs to help retailers sell more!

I made an interesting post recently they got some unique responses. For the most part, their analysis of the golf industry was way off base, but some had some interesting things to say about the Scuba Industry.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=28903

I have been a patron of my LDS. I have spent some time discussing the differences between our two similiar businesses. If you look at the response Mike F gave on my thread, it sounds I dentical to what the owner of my LDS has been telling me all along.

Happy Diving....

PS. I really enjoy diving....I wish I had extra time to do more of it!

Back in the early to mid 1980s SCUBA manufacturers used to have dive days. The old J. Rich Sports in Austin sponsored a couple of them. They were at Windy Point (public side now) as I recall.

I don't know why the manufacturers stopped doing the dive days. Downturn in the economy, couldn't get shops to sponsor them, or any other number of reasons.
I personally think that a shop would jump at sponsoring such a day because it gets the shop exposure, gets folks to try the equipment they are selling, etc.
But then again, it depends on who is stuck with the cost of sponsoring the dive day. I don't see any dive stores with much spare cash floating around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom