why hate safety devices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This post is likely to start a flame war, but my intent is to solicit opinions.

Why do some scuba divers hate some scuba innovations that can give rise to a higher degree of safety?

Example: the air-integrated computer with audible warning when you pass your user-determined "reserve gas" pressure.

Many SB members feel that a good 'ol brass 'n glass SPG is all you need. Fine. A few have made jokes about the cacophonous symphony that accompanies a class of new divers completing their OW certs when their computers warn them about various issues. Point taken.

Of course you should manage your gas. Of course your buddy should be near at hand. Of course you should learn to use your computer. Of course you should learn to dive without a computer. But why do some hate computers, or at least a perceived over-reliance on them in this case?

For example, a pilot should know to watch the altitude gauge. Also, pilots of aircraft with retractable landing gear should know to extend said landing gear prior to landing. I am not a pilot, but I am sure that warning systems exist in aircraft to alert pilots to low altitude and retracted landing gear, irrespective of how good the pilot is.

What makes scuba different?

Electronic failures are common, mechanical spg failures not that common. So with that its not a safer alternative. For OW recreation diving I have no issues with them tho. You want it, get it.

I dislike innovations that are expensive and unnecessary. If I were convinced that something would lead to a higher degree of safety, I'd use it. I carry an SMB, dive with a buddy, have a manifold on my doubles and dive a longhose. I've been convinced that those add to my safety.

In your specific example, I believe that having a low-air alarm could lead to people using them as today's J-Valve. Actually, an SPG is a nice example of an innovation that I use to add to my safety. I do have J-valves, but I took them off my tanks because I prefer to dive with an SPG.

I don't believe piloting an aircraft is analogous to basic recreational diving. Perhaps a bicycle would be a better example?

The apprenticeship of angst.

I'm a cold water diver with a very thick hood.

I've NEVER heard a dive computer beep, chirp or otherwise make any noise.

FWIW, I have my computer set to an alarm at a given air pressure, depth and time. For safety, maybe. I have safety covered more thoroughly by a regular checking of my gauges. Rarely is an alarm a surprise to me, more likely it is expected... I have them set for the "unlikely event" that for whatever reason, the regular checks have not occurred. A backup system per se. And when they beep, it's not a cacophony, it's a beep. As for mechanical failures being less common, that's why the electronics are backups. I carry gauges as well, and check those as regularly as my electronics. So the alarms are like backups to backups.

Don't ever be afraid of doing things that you think, given what you know of your diving habits, are going to increase your safety margin.

and by the way, hello from St. Albert. :)

kari

Example: the air-integrated computer with audible warning when you pass your user-determined "reserve gas" pressure.

What makes scuba different?

More than one person has forgotten to update their computer with the proper nitrox mix. What happens when these alarms don't go off when there are "supposed" to? Too early or worse, too late.

So everything must be OK if I have not heard an audible warning?

Unless the batteries have died or the computer has flooded.

And anyway,I dive sidemount 99% of the time. Am far too tight to buy two transmitters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom