"Why I Don't Have a Boat", by Scuba Steve.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We honestly can't go every weekend right now (because of "life") and I can deal with a schedule requirement. We generally do go where we want by picking the boat we are going to go on. I am ready to get off of the boat when we are done diving. Also as I eluded to above, I really don't mind missing the time it takes to prep the boat, get the boat out of wherever it is stored, trailering, fueling, finding a place to park at the boat launch, motoring the boat out to the ocean, knowing where the good spots are, knowing how to drop properly, having another competent captain, and then the cleaning the boat, trailering, putting everything away, etc. This makes a 4 hour boat trip into an all day affair (unless you are wealthy enough to have a place on the water.)
Not to mention having to coordinate other people's schedules who you can trust to drive the boat and be there when you surface as well as deal with any issues that may come up when you are underwater.

I'll stay a boat owner as well. The only reason my boat was more expensive than an equal amount of charters last year was the amount of trips they cancelled!! 21' Sea Ox Cuddy, adequate room for 4 divers, 12 tanks and 50 comfortable miles. Fortunately, Ramps are free in NC (at least, where I am) and there are 6 within 3 mile of my house!.

My wife and I can do a two tank dive every weekend on local dive boats for less than the cost of having our own boat of sufficient size and engine redundancy for me to trust it offshore, and we never have to wash it, maintain it, tow it, store it, etc. We just show up and dive. We are generally very happy with the spots they take us, especially when going on smaller 6 pack boats.

Those were exactly my thoughts, I mean word by word. while in Coconut Creek I had the operator I like when I wanted to dive Boynton, another going off the Boca inlet, another of lighthouse inlet and so on all the way pretty much to the keys.... if my checkbook complaint I went with my kayak. The thought of a boat was absurd..... then I had to deal with the panhandle of Florida...... there's such a lack of respect for diving in Panama City Beach, it drove me in a hurry to the boat store. it was after that when I discovered how much I love to dive out of my own boat, now I get to love it even more from Pompano.

Just like diving one size does not fit all, enjoy your dives your way!

I will say that I do completely enjoy the when you want, how you want diving in Bonaire, so I totally understand that aspect of it!

I had an inflatable that was fast, inexpensive to run and could get us to Catalina Island and back for less then ten dollars. If the swells picked up or there was wind chop my back hurt for days afterward. I had a power boat that was easy to dive from, but repair expenses maxed out several credit cards.
I now enjoy diving from my C-Dory Tomcat every weekend (weather permitting). I keep it in a slip, so I save on ramp fees, tow vehicle and all costs involved with that and storage. I even found a mechanic who will come down to the marina to work on the boat in the water. We had to scrimp and save for several years to buy the boat, and the slip fee, fuel, maintenance and insurance comes out to be the equivalent of my last apartment rent, but I love being able to turn the keys and go diving.
The charters here in SoCal board at 6:00 a.m. for day trips and 1:00 a.m. for outer islands. I enjoy sleeping in and going out around 8:00. I am able to make a couple dives and be back in the slip around 1:00. The boat has a pilot house to get out of the sun/weather, heater/stove, hot freshwater shower on the deck, marine head and full electronics. I've had it for four years and hope to have it for another thirty.

NoPressureDSC_0642.jpg

Roll_Control_1.jpg

No_Pressure_1_1_of_1.jpg

RadioTower26_1.jpg

Reactions: Ana
I'll stay a boat owner as well. The only reason my boat was more expensive than an equal amount of charters last year was the amount of trips they cancelled!! 21' Sea Ox Cuddy, adequate room for 4 divers, 12 tanks and 50 comfortable miles. Fortunately, Ramps are free in NC (at least, where I am) and there are 6 within 3 mile of my house!.

We need to get that puppy out this summer!!

No way- never trust a bag breather!!! LOL! Should have the new engine together by then!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom