Why I solo dive:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FARMHAND

Registered
Reaction score
Although I dive with charter groups, I dive independent of any specific buddy. I do NOT advocate or endorse this individual diving practice. I dive solo for one very simple reason: I require 100% concentration on myself and my diving environment, primarily shipwrecks. This leaves no percentage of concentration on a "buddy". I have only two exceptions to this rule I've followed for over 40 years and 3,500 dives, world-wide: my son and/or my daughter. If it works, don't fix it ;-)

It is interesting; the two topics that bring the most emotional responses are Solo Diving and DIR(Do It Right) diving. In the first case the participants have discarded the idea that a diver Must always have a second person along. The second, in my opinion, is the unintended consequence of a marketing slogan. In any event to the question of why I dive solo.

I first dove solo on a night dive when I had about 10 dives. Wasn't planned that way. Wasn't briefed that way. But it turned out that way. I discovered I was solo when I saw a neat thing and tried to get my buddy's attention. I did everything but hit him over the head with my light with no result. What to do? I took inventory. I had plenty of gas. I was within range of an emergency swimming ascent. Everything was working fine. I knew exactly where I was. I had multiple signaling devices. So I proceeded with the dive. Gee, this solo stuff isn't so bad after all.

Further experience reinforced that with rare exception other divers increased my risk factors, not decreased them. Being an analytically trained but spiritual type person I decided that I was better off by myself. That if human error, the way most likely kind of malfunction, occured at least it would be my error and not someone else's.

Plus, some of my diving is in remote locations where it just isn't practical to import someone to dive with me just to comply with a paper rule. In that case I do take prudent precautions. That is no different than when I go into Offroad Alaska by myself.

So, I do things, including diving, with buddies when appropriate. I do other activities, including diving, solo when appropriate. In all cases I am comfortable with the risk involved; and that is the bottom line.

I have been diving for nearly 25 years and truly enjoy solo diving. I take pictures and when I am by myself I am able to stay or move when I get ready. I don't have to worry about someone else's needs. I share what I see through my pictures. I've done night, deep and boat dives solo.

A few months ago on a trip to Destin I was working with two other instructors and we had about six students on board. We came to a deep reef that the boat had never dove before. The weather was perfect and every wreck was full of fishermen so our plan to dive a wreck was cancelled and we went to Plan B. The reef was in 95 feet of water.

I knew the boat captain and he asked me to check out the reef and if there were no problems he would send down the rest of the divers.

I went down and about 10 minutes later the instructors and students started down the anchor line. When they finished their dive I followed the last ones up.

I enjoy diving with my wife and son. And certainly there is a thrill in working with students and seeing them improve their diving skills and see new sites.

But there is also a time when I need to be by myself and solo diving is the ticket. I am quite aware of the risks I take and carry the necessary backup gear.

Jim
Louisiana

FARMHAND:
Although I dive with charter groups, I dive independent of any specific buddy. I do NOT advocate or endorse this individual diving practice. I dive solo for one very simple reason: I require 100% concentration on myself and my diving environment, primarily shipwrecks. This leaves no percentage of concentration on a "buddy". I have only two exceptions to this rule I've followed for over 40 years and 3,500 dives, world-wide: my son and/or my daughter. If it works, don't fix it ;-)

It seems we keep justifying SOLO. I don't really feel the need anymore to justify something that is entirely normal ops for me. Unfortunately in recent years my jobs and other duties have limited my diving but I have done a lot of diving. I do lot's of things solo including diving and when I feel like it I also dive and do other things with wife and friends. When I am SOLO I am as safe if not safer than if with a buddy, I am totally independent, well trained and capable of handling the situation. Sure, I love to dive with a buddy but when I cannot find one I go alone.
Jim, are you from West Monroe? Did you have a dive shop over there by West Monroe High? If so I probably dived with you once in the early 90s. I think I may have followed one of your classes down to Destin and dived with y'all on the Bridge Rubble. You guys then went on to the Keys and I went my own way to the springs and then down to Jupiter and then wound up in Key West. I was on an extended trip, several such I have done like that. Shortly thereafter I moved to Arizona etc. Anyway, howdy from another born and raised in the piney woods North Louisianan. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom