Why isnt there Any Money for Divemasters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverbrian:
It isn't winding up in the pockets of the charter operators (who operate on a thin margin), the instructors, or the divemasters. I have heard store owners discuss things and there is a saying in this end of the industry...

"If you want to be a millionaire running a dive shop, start with two million dollars."

Maybe the manufacturers are getting most of it (my bet). That does not cover the people doing the training though.

It must be the manufacturers, because I'm sitting on about ten grand of gear. Well at least I know that some of that money went to pay the people at the local dive shop.

It does seem wrong that the DMs can't make a decent buck. I've taken to tipping DMs on dive boats just for that reason. and I dive solo and allways offer to help around the boat.

novadiver:
" profit margins in scuba diving are so low " Lets see = Dive rite molded plastic fins with spring strap , 139.00 MSRP .hmmm made in china . now I'm sure the dirt poor smuck that made them would disagree. The money is going to someone. I wonder who?

I'm sure they must sell at leat 50-100 of them a year. After they pay for advertising and normal operational costs, I don't see why they can't give the backplates away for free. Damn crooks. :banghead:

hermosadive:
I'm sure they must sell at leat 50-100 of them a year. After they pay for advertising and normal operational costs, I don't see why they can't give the backplates away for free. Damn crooks. :banghead:

You know. There's been a lot of discussion about this in the past. Frankly I think it's good that the manufacturers are making profits. It gives them the resources to continue looking for ways to improve the gear and to continue giving us good quality after sales service and I think that's what matters. In fact I don't even care if they get rich at it. I figure as long as there is still a free market effect we'll be ok.

What does concern me is that many shops use training as a loss leader in order to sell gear, which is what really keeps them in business. It concerns me because nobody really gives a rat's asss about the quality of a loss leader.....

Let that one sink in.

I think it would be better to just sell the gear up front and say if you buy this "SCUBAPRO" dive-package then we'll throw in the <<pick-a-course-name>> course for free. I bet the manufacturers would even subsidize that idea and the shops might be in a better position to offer a quality OW course with paid staff because they would be gauranteed gear sales.

Just a thought.

R..

cancun mark:
This is a crock too. Nobody is going to sue a pennyless Divemaster, what are you going to get except an expensive lawyers bill?

Except for I know DMs who work for free who are doctors and lawyers and live in million dollar houses and have bank accounts stuffed with money. LOL

As to the priginal question of the thread...divemasters usually work for free because they're willing to. Why pay some one who will work for free.

Students are charged money. They spend a fortune on plane tickets, equipment, resorts and dive boats. There's no good reason to train them for free. In general diving is a pass time for those who have money. Cahrge them enough so you can pay your help. How hard is that. If they don't like it let them go bowling and the dive sites will be nicer for me.

So many DMs are duped into working for the BS discounts they get on equipment. First of all you have to buy what the store carries which is often junk in the first place. But...most of the manufacturers give the store a key-person discount and lots of stors just pass that on to the DM meaning that their profit margine stays the same.

So...when a shop flatters you by inviting you to be a DM what they are really saying is that they think they can sell you a new equipment package while you're helping them teach their class for free.

When I had a shop I paid for insurance for my assistants and tried to cover their expenses and they got equipment at prices way better than key-man discount. I did other stuff for em too but I never made a profit so I never paid much in the way of cash.

When I was a DM all I got was the stupid equipment discount...which was the BS kind that I mentioned above. I didn't find that out though until I owned a store and knew how things worked and what they cost. My expenese weren't covered either.

Why did I do it? Easy. I was stupid enough to help the equipment manufacturers get rich without asking for reasonable pay myself.

I also worked without insurance because the store permitted it and (at least at the time) DMs didn't get the education in legal issues that DMs get. When I had a store I wouldn't let any one DM without insurance.

There are avenues with PADI where A DM can teach a few thing: Like EFR. a Divemaster can become certifed to teach Emergency first response and earn money. DM's can be paid to lead discover local diving excursions.

A plain generic DM at our shop work for tips. They get to go out on the charters for free and then the people on the charter tip them for thier service. I normally will give my DMs some money for thier time and effort when they assist me with large classes to show my appreciation, but that is just me.

Diver0001:
I think it would be better to just sell the gear up front and say if you buy this "SCUBAPRO" dive-package then we'll throw in the <<pick-a-course-name>> course for free. I bet the manufacturers would even subsidize that idea and the shops might be in a better position to offer a quality OW course with paid staff because they would be gauranteed gear sales.

Just a thought.

R..

The manufacturers will not subsidize it.

I had both PADI reps (regional managers they called them at the time) and manufacturer reps try to talk me into outrite giving the class for free with the purchase of an equipment package. I suggested that they then cover at least part of the cost of the class.

Look! I could sell an equipment package with the touch of a button on the cash register or a credit card machine. Even if I had to order something it takes a phone call. When I teach a class I have wear and tear on the compressor, equipment that I had to pay for, trave, labor for me and my wife who spent the day filling tanks and preparing equipment, travel, my own labor, late nights, liability risks, pool costs, insurance, my own investment in time and money to become an instructor...and I'm supposed to GIVE THAT ALL AWAY so I can be accused of being a cvrook when I try to sell a piece of equipment at a decent markup to some one who know what they can get it for on the internet? Try doing all that for free when you have to compete with the on-line dealers who sell for what you buy for? in other words just plain for free.

Oh...the equipment manufacturers would go in for part either. LOL

Here's another way of looking at it. How much time does it take to become a divemaster vs getting a bachelor's degree, masters or PhD? Or to become a skilled carpenter or electrician? Most jobs pay based on the amount of time and money spent to gain the skills required to do the job. Not to belittle any professional in the dive business but that is pretty much the way it is.

MikeFerrara:
So...when a shop flatters you by inviting you to be a DM what they are really saying is that they think they can sell you a new equipment package while you're helping them teach their class for free.

(note to self: must invite more divemasters)

Hey, I'm a full time DM... I'm not exactly rolling in dough, but I make enough to be alive, and that's cool with me. It's one of the sacrifices you have to be willing to make. I love my job, and that counts for alot, at least to me.

I was being sarcastic with my post. :wink: Sometimes it gets lost in the type.

hermosadive:
I'm sure they must sell at leat 50-100 of them a year. After they pay for advertising and normal operational costs, I don't see why they can't give the backplates away for free. Damn crooks.

Your idea would have got me into my dive gear 5 years earlier than it took me to buy it. Too bad it probably we'll never see it offered.

Diver0001:
I think it would be better to just sell the gear up front and say if you buy this "SCUBAPRO" dive-package then we'll throw in the <<pick-a-course-name>> course for free. I bet the manufacturers would even subsidize that idea and the shops might be in a better position to offer a quality OW course with paid staff because they would be gauranteed gear sales..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom