why not D-rings in drysuit pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hockeymulder

Reaction score
Why do people prefer using bungy loops inside drysuit pockets for clipping stuff to, instead of tieing D-rings to the inside of the pocket. It would seem like it would be easier to clip and unclip to a rigid D-ring as opposed to a floppy bungy loop.

I've never tried either, as I just installed my drysuit pocket. Feedback on either would be helpful.

Thanks!

The new DUI pockets come with d-rings in them and I have heard elsewhere that they should be promptly cut out and replaced with bungee loops.

I did install bungee loops, but have not removed the D-rings since they do not seem to bother me or be in the way. With bungee loops, you can run multiple loops to keep different gear segregated in the pocket (i.e. one loop for certain things in front and another in the back for other things). Other than that positive feature about bungee loops, I cannot think of a good reason why you shouldn't use the D-rings in the pocket. Clipping double enders on there is kind of a metal to metal connection, but 1) it is in a pocket and won't snag and 2) you can cut the material holding the d-ring on (albeit not as easily as a bungee loop)...maybe that's the reason?

Geez O-ring, my regulator and tank valve is a metal-to-metal connection - should I bungee them together instead? :eek:ut:

What I like about the bungee is that the loop is BUNGEE so it stretches if you want to pull stuff from your pocket, making it a little more accessable. Plus it's easier to add to an aftermarket pocket. Haven't heard a good reason why not to use a D-ring though if you've already got it.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Geez O-ring, my regulator and tank valve is a metal-to-metal connection - should I bungee them together instead? :eek:ut:

What I like about the bungee is that the loop is BUNGEE so it stretches if you want to pull stuff from your pocket, making it a little more accessable. Plus it's easier to add to an aftermarket pocket. Haven't heard a good reason why not to use a D-ring though if you've already got it.
They are harder (IMHO) to hit with the boltsnaps since they are down inside the pocket...the bungee loops can be pulled out of the pocket (like you said), whatever you want found or clipped back on, and then the whole mess stuffed back in the pocket.

Ok, the more I yack about it the more I think the d-rings are bad and the bungee good..

My DUI came with D-ring in the pocket. I am going to add bungy as soon as I get around to it. I find that the D-ring is kinda rigid, not letting the stuff in the pocket move around much. That makes it harder for it to lay down flat, and harder to stuff things in and fish them out.

Thanks for all the insightful replys! Here's a follow on. What about using cord instead of bungy? It would seem that cord is stronger, and thus less likely to break. Do you guys use the stretchablilty feature of the bungy?

Thanks.

rogerhelmich once bubbled...

That is a good one to remeber at Ginnie:wacko:

Eric,
Dont stroke out!

Bungees are the best option here.

The Bungees are not gonna break
BTW, had fun diving with you last weekend...we will have to do it again one of these days.

The metal to metal in the pocket is a problem if the boltsnap fails closed. If it's a big item, trying to go past it with your knife to cut the D-ring, make a hole in the suit blah blah blah.

Bungee works best, and is very strong. The way bungee fails is usually that first the rubber inside fails, and much later does the outside nylon fail, so you have lots of warning.

S., I know you were kidding about your metal to metal comment. There are lots of metal to metal connections on a rig, sometimes it's a problem, sometimes it's not.

Basically, anytime you are connecting something that you want to be able to remove, and a bolt snap is involved, you need to have one of the attachment points be of a kind that can be cut or broken. Now this is a mouthful, so the shorthand is "no metal to metal".

As usual, use the big computer to figure out when it's a problem and when it isn't.

Before someone jumps on me and says that the reel is a metal to metal connection, yes it is. However, the reel is usually used immediately or not used at all, so not as much of an issue. Also, some of us use this method:

http://homepage.mac.com/samilaine/PhotoAlbum20.html

The metal to metal in the pocket is a problem if the boltsnap fails closed. If it's a big item, trying to go past it with your knife to cut the D-ring, make a hole in the suit blah blah blah.
I suppose that makes sense. Although having a boltsnap on my item or stuck in my pocket (if it failed closed, I would just open the other end) wouldn't be that much of a problem (ok, a little funky looking on the mask strap, but not a killer).

Makes sense..

Back
Top Bottom