Why not the Canon S50?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The S-50 has worked well for me. I've used it with the SeaLife strobe (older version) after removing two of the four screws at the bottom of the WP-DC300 underwater housing. My photos came out great (no small part to the tips I've picked up from this forum).

Don't forget about the "C" mode. My baseline settings (>3 ft) are in the manual mode and the macro settings (<1 ft) are saved in "C". A turn of the knob gets me in close without any hassle.

There are tips for accessing camera functions in the housing and other underwater tips from Canon at the following site: http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/PSS50/PSS50_3000-e.html .

Try under water Photo Tech in New Hampshire for the canon lens adapter. I believe the price was $61.00. Also B& H says they have them...but they are currently backordered. The Canon housing is much simpler to use than the Oly in my humble opinion,especially if you are diving where gloves are needed. You can control most functions with a single button. No need for 2 handed operations. The Canon does not have an on off switch on the housing,but this can be accomplished by holding the WB button down for a few seconds. The depth rating of the Canon housing is a drawback if you do a lot of deeoer diving. Ive read posts about exceeding the depth rating with no problems,but Im a little leery of that. The ratings are there for a reason.The Oly camera does have a few more manual controls and options that the Canon doesnt. I have the Canon and my friend has an Oly. Simplicity and size were a major factor in my purchase. So far Ive been very happy with it. As far as picture quality...I see very little differance,however I should add that I am fairly new to the underwater photography game and this is just my humble opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom