Why pineapple?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here In Florida pineapple is the norm on almost all the boats. I agree it really helps cut the salt taste after the dive, and is very cheap down here.

We were served pineapple on the SI when we dove Hol Chan with Ecologic Divers on Ambergris this past May; which I have to say might have been the first time I've ever had freshly butchered pineapple on a dive boat.

My experience has been that bananas seem to be the snack du jour most frequently, and we'll take our own if we know that the dive op doesn't.

Check ahead. Some captains don’t allow bananas. I’ve heard that it’s is “bad luck” or they don’t want to be called a “banana boat”.

Ecological always served us watermelon and pineapple.

Bananas mean your ship will instantly sink the moment no land can be seen. Fact.

Seriously it has a founding in the early maritime trade routes exploration era. Ships that took on bananas found other fresh provisions they had managed to find ripened rapidly and thus spoiled due to the bananas giving of ethylene gas. Once they worked out bananas were good but badly behaved in a mixed cargo hold the banana boat was born. Specifically carrying only bananas and no covered hold for the gas to build up.

Has anyone been given the old Thai soup and sticky rice in a plastic bag recently? I love soup after a dive (but not the plastic bag part) and always liked that about diving from day boats in Thailand.

On Bangka in Indonesia they supplied us with sweet biscuits we could dunk in the hot coffee they would make. In Mexico, apples with hot sauce was popular. Mangos are always good in season. Bananas, pineapple, and ripe melons are welcome. I am always wary of mass produced pastries sealed in plastic.

On Bangka I had to fish for dinner on a surface interval. Myself and a couple from California were the only guests at Murex and encountered a local boat pulling in their net so our boatmen went over to help. Kids in the water, poles used to balance the boats as everyone including we divers hauled in the net.

We got given 4 small tuna for our efforts and Wayne showed the cook at the time how to cut it into Sashimi for lunch. We were served sashimi for dinner and breakfast the next morning too.
Best fun I've ever had on a surface interval.

https://instagram.com/p/BthI9HRlzz_/

I have had pineapple many a time while diving the St Lawrence.

Never had pineapple - would have been nice on some dives.

Fresh juice on a liveaboard - very nice
Hot chocolate on a liveaboard for a night dive - also very nice
Coffee after a north sea dive (along with a bit of lovely fruit cake) - absolutely amazing!

Having something refreshing after a dive does make a difference to the salt water/rubber taste of the mouthpiece!

I've never been keen on bananas, and yes, I have heard that some consider them bad luck on a boat.

That said... I was on a western Pacific liveaboard, and on the second day of the trip one of the local crew took the skiff over to the beach, and walked into the jungle with just a BFK.
Later he returned to the liveaboard with a very large bushel of green bananas, and hung them up from the roof of the dive deck near the swim step.
The bananas were rather small, about half the size of a typical supermarket banana here at home.
As the days passed the hanging bananas ripened.
When the divers returned from their dives, we could just reach up and grab one of those perfect bananas.
Man, they tasted fantastic.

Years pass by, and I've forgotten a lot of things about that trip, but I'll never forget those bananas.

K

Back
Top Bottom