Why shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup- we recently dived Cozumel and it was fantastic. Largely because I wasn't expecting it to be the way it was 10 years ago.

Cozumel endures. I was there the end of August. Always a pleasure. I think to fully appreciate Bonaire one has to alott a certain amount of headspace to the overall experience of shore diving; just freely driving around and jumping in almost anywhere, anytime. I also think some knowledge of the sites is important to maximize the experience; you are the DM. I was recently on Roatan, and had certain expectations, but once I had a few dives there, I figured out what it had that made it enjoyable; it was a little contrary to what I had expected. It's often luck and timing when it comes to marine life, but I have generally found Bonaire to be plentiful. It was more so than Roatan in that regard on my recent trip. Also, in repeated trips to the Cayman Islands I have come to terms with what's underwater. I think in general, an attitude of just enjoying being in an underwater garden opens you up to the joy of surprises, in whatever form they appear.

Last edited:
I know that, for me, anything in between The Lake and Andrea I will provide nothing but disappointment.

Somewhat agree. I tend to go very north and very south. Always at least a day up in the park, and to the east side, if possible.

I like The Lake; the reefs converging creates a little arena. Further along the double-reef, if you stay up high out to the second reef, you can spend some good time along the deep drop.

I also like Willemstoren Lighthouse if dealing with some often rough surf and current is within one's wheelhouse, and Cai is quite something too.

I find a compass the most important piece of kit for any of this.

Last edited:
I think to fully appreciate Bonaire one has to alott a certain amount of headspace to the overall experience of shore diving; just freely driving around and jumping in almost anywhere, anytime. I also think some knowledge of the sites is important to maximize the experience; you are the DM. . . .

To maximize the experience, maybe, but some people get off on the unique experience of driving down the road on Bonaire, pausing to squint at the site marker, and saying to their buddy, "I don't think we have dived 'XYZ' yet--let's give it a try!" There can be a certain element of adventure and exploration on Bonaire that is attractive to some.

Agreed on the adventure of shore diving. In Bonaire we dived the Hilma Hooker, and we entered the water at dusk.. We swam out almost to the first buoy, and then dropped down, and landed almost on top of the lurking hulking wreck with the shadows growing longer as we descended. It was just the two of us and the wreck. The experience wouldn't have been quite the same if we did the whole "predive briefing on the boat followed by the mooring line descent". It would have been good, but not THAT good.

And how many Dive Ops do deep night wreck dives?

My LDS goes to Bonaire about every three years. I never go, because I can’t seem to understand why people would spend so much to go shore diving. Loading a truck, driving around, can’t bring anything because people rob the trucks. Putting gear together, breaking it down, way too much work for vacation. The flights there suck. I’d much rather put my gear on a boat and leave it there for a week, only thing I have to do is check nitrox. Am I missing something? Is the diving that good?

I may be late to the party here but I totally agree with you here. I got my AOW in Bonaire but realized that spending that money slugging gear over rocks is not my idea of a vacation. It's a lot more work and I would rather spend the additional $ on a livaboard so I can eat-sleep-dive right on the boat. Sure Bonaire may allow you to dive as much as you want but the thought of carrying my gear and surface swim to a site is not my idea of relaxing diving.

I may be late to the party here but I totally agree with you here. I got my AOW in Bonaire but realized that spending that money slugging gear over rocks is not my idea of a vacation. It's a lot more work and I would rather spend the additional $ on a livaboard so I can eat-sleep-dive right on the boat. Sure Bonaire may allow you to dive as much as you want but the thought of carrying my gear and surface swim to a site is not my idea of relaxing diving.

This is a recurring theme on most Bonaire threads; some people love it, some hate it. I wouldn't be caught dead on a liveaboard (yet). Maybe when I'm older and feel the need to dive where only liveaboards can. But now, personally, being on a boat, and only a boat, for a week or more, is not appealing at all.

The person who started this thread makes it sound like assembling and donning gear and wading out into calm, warm, tropical water is hard work. It's not. It's part of the experience.
I can shore dive at home, 365 days a year, Weather permitted. I do many shore dives each year as an instructor. I was asking, why people like shore diving, to me going away and packing gear, getting tanks loading a truck..... doesn’t sound relaxing. Except the House reef. I prefer to leave my gear on the boat, check nitrox mix and giant stride off. If I want to dive other than boat dives it would be on the House reef. My LDS trip includes 10 boat dives, but it appears that not many of the 14 people going are doing boat dives, mostly shore. If the dive op cuts dives short, I would normally try straighten it out with dive op, if that didn’t work I would find another dive op, but since it’s part of package I wouldn’t have that option. People responding to this post have convinced me, that Bonaire isn’t my cup of tea. I won’t come and pee in your pool.

I have to admit I like it all. I like Bonaire for the quirks mentioned. I like Cozumel for the Mexican vibe and food. I like liveaboards for the pampering. If money were no object, I'd do it all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom