Why So Shy in the Panhandle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Is there a reason that dive operators in the Panhandle are so shy of going offshore? Has the diving community and tourism dropped off that significantly or does it relate to some other factors? This all began before high fuel prices, it has been more and more true for the last decade. I have found it increasingly diffucult to get a charter or trip to any of the many offshore wrecks and reefs (natural bottom and rock). This used to be easy and now it seems impossible. This quote below from another thread is an observation by another diver but it certainly seems on the mark---

"As for distance, it's going to be about 22miles SE of Pensacola and 32 miles SW of Destin. I've got a map of the site from Destin and P'cola that I posted in another thread if you want to see it.

Destin dive charter boats aren't planning on running trips to the Oriskany. Scubatech told me this week they won't do trips to it. (they cancel if the seas get up much anyway). Emerald Coast Scuba's boat will hardly do a trip that goes past the jetties. I asked PCDC (the predominate shop with the most boats in PCB) last week also if they were going to take their boats over for the sinking and they said no also."

Now I cn understand why they may not make regular trips to the Oriskany but why do they not visit the other local dive sites. Anything much beyond the bridge rubble and the end of the jettie seems like a no mans land all of a sudden. N

I wish I knew. I'm looking at private charters to do some of the more interesting wrecks in the panhandle gulf. Unless you want to go to the Black Bart, USS Strength, bridge rubble, jetties, etc., you're on your own it seems. MBT seems to willing to go, but I rather not go all the way to Pensacola.

I've tried asking around to get a commercial boat to go to the Accokeek, Chippewa, Grierson, and a few others with little luck. I guess it's profit margin. But to be honest, if I am chartering a boat to see wrecks, I really don't want to do my second dive on the Hathaway bridge rubble.

In my opinion, being a local, around the Destin and Ft. Walton Beach area. I believe that the dive charters in this area really cater to the tourist more than they ever will to the locals. You really have to think of where there money comes from. It comes from tourism. Now that creates a whole different diving environment. Most tourist that come here are not serious divers; they are certified, or get certified while vacationing here. But, they come here to enjoy the warm water and do a few, fun dives. Now, that is what creates the dive shops to dive as close to port as possible. They can fill the boat, with divers, and do two trips per day. That is why the local dive shops will not go very far from shore. Just my opionion, from an average diver.

Nemrod,

You've pushed one of my tourist buttons ! ! ! !

Seems as if none of the PC dive boat charters want to do an "off shore" dive.

I guess it's just so much easier for them to load up the cattle boats and go to the usual places.

the K

Nemrod:
Is there a reason that dive operators in the Panhandle are so shy of going offshore?

I think some of them are lazy and cheap. they don't want to work harder and gas costs $3/gallon. So they are staying inshore

Destin dive charter boats aren't planning on running trips to the Oriskany. Scubatech told me this week they won't do trips to it. (they cancel if the seas get up much anyway). Emerald Coast Scuba's boat will hardly do a trip that goes past the jetties. I asked PCDC (the predominate shop with the most boats in PCB) last week also if they were going to take their boats over for the sinking and they said no also."

heh... I posted almost the exact same thing in another thread last week.

I dove with PCDC last sunday and they told me that they weren't taking any of their boats over for the sinking. Nancy at ScubaTech said they weren't going to run any charters to the Oriskany. Yep... they also canceled a trip with 3-5 foot seas, which is the norm on North Carolina diving. I also said the same thing about Emerald Coast that I don't think I've ever seen their boat go past the Jetties.

Now I cn understand why they may not make regular trips to the Oriskany but why do they not visit the other local dive sites. Anything much beyond the bridge rubble and the end of the jettie seems like a no mans land all of a sudden. N

The ScubaTech trip I was on last week, guess what... we dove the Bridge rubble pile (2nd dive). First dive was Labor Day rock, which isn't much further out.

Panama City dive boats are doing the same thing. They are diving the first sites outside St Andrews Jetties. The Black Bart and the Hathway bridge span all had three charter dive boats diving each site when we went there last weekend.

As for my comment about them being cheap, I really don't see how they hardly make any money anyway. Buy a $100k to $200k boat, pay $900 to $1400 per month in slip fees, buy gas/diesel @ $3+ per gallon, pay insurance, pay crew, pay maintenance work, pay for Coast Guard inspections, etc. Not a lot of profit left considering the dive season in the panhandle is mostly "weekenders" with maybe a few week day boats that operate maybe 6 months a year. I'm surprised we haven't seen more dive shops go under down there. Hydrospace went out of business over the winter. (PCDC operates its boats now). Destin is down to 2 dive boats. (one of which remember hardly goes past the jetties)

As for Scubatech not wanting to run to the Oriskany, I can see that as they don't like rough seas. We were out last week in maybe 2-4 or 3-5 foot seas and half the tanks fell off their racks. (they don't have anything to keep them from sliding and their bungee cords are all worn out). I can't see that boat going out 30 miles the way it's configured.

just my 2 cents worth.

-mike

Captn Logan in PCB will take you offshore and let you pick your sites.

LDS here in Daphne launches out of Orange Beach(almost panhandle) and will take you on offshore trips. Alot of times, you get to pick your sites here as well.

Got a link to this Capn Logan?

Naw, he's oldschool, gotta use one of them phone things :) 8506240035

I have decided I will no longer pay Destin boats to take me to the bridge rubbles or the jetty. I can swim to the jetty, I don't need to pay charter for that. They will either take me where I want to go within reason or I am going to find another way out there. I think when they say they are going to the bridge rubble for the umpteenth time a firm no--give me my money back then will begin to win them over to a different point of view. Just don't go, just say NO, no offshore thn no charter money no tip money, nothing. N

SuPrBuGmAn:
Captn Logan in PCB will take you offshore and let you pick your sites.

LDS here in Daphne launches out of Orange Beach(almost panhandle) and will take you on offshore trips. Alot of times, you get to pick your sites here as well.

Dang Mat, you coulda NAMED the "LDS in Daphne"! eyebrow

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom