Why the Prejudice about DIR or GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Horn:
What would you do: Two guys diving close to your area, you are not diving just passing by. You chat abit about the vis, water temp and begin to leave, you overhear one of the divers you just spoke to say to an elderly gentleman, who had inquired how deep they were going to dive: "Well we will staying about 40 to 60 feet as the air in our tanks turns to poison at about 100 feet ". They were not diving a high nitrox mix or anything special just air. I just walked away. Saw them surface a half hour later and one had barotrauma and a nose bleed at 30 feet.......although this happens the guy was saying that his ear hurt but a few beers should fix it right up, they left rather quickly.

What organization do slam on that one.....
I dunno ... hmmmmm .... Planned Parenthood ????

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

TheRedHead:
I think the group who are more likely to give you unwanted advice in person are recreational dive instructors you happen to meet on boats (please don't take it personally anyone!).
OK ... :eyebrow:

... but I think the group most likely to give you unwanted advice in person are LDS owners ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
OK ... :eyebrow:

... but I think the group most likely to give you unwanted advice in person are LDS owners ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, don't leave out us reps and manufs.! :D

NWGratefulDiver:

The two are not mutually exclusive....:eyebrow:

Matsya:
This has been a very interesting thread. In the country that I live in, there are not many opportunities to get trained but there is going to be a DIR-F session in February 2007 and I am going to be in it. This despite the fact that I really cannot accept a few DIR concepts like placement of D rings, using only BP/W etc. In fact I have an ego problem with the name itself which so obviously implies that only "they" do it right and the rest of the world is "wrong". But I reiterate it is an EGO issue with me.

I have to grudgingly admit that in terms of course content, instructor quality etcetera, GUE DIR seems to be the best training available and I intend going for it.
Now after the training I will probably hang up my BP/W etc. and revert to Jacket. But I am looking forward to a very rewarding and enriching experience in terms of knowlege and instruction.

Please be sure to come back and comment on just how much EGO you find in the class. I'm not quite sure why you would have a problem with D-ring placement, but whatever you do have a problem with, talk about it with your instructor. In my experience they welcome the questions and debate.
Reverting to the jacket isn't going to help you with the cave and technical diving you said you want to do in your other post. I think that you will find that the BP&W is far more comfortable and less confining than your jacket, most people do.

Soggy:
While many of us are vocal about our beliefs on a forum designed specifically for learning about the best practices of diving.

Back on topic, I think comments like this cause the problem. While I am not in any way DIR I do think they have some very good ideas and I even agree with a lot of what you have to say. I think you can come off as thinking you are a better diver than everyone hear or at least your post can sound that way.

I do use a long hose because I think it makes sense right after OW class my wife and I went to Cozumel and I told her if you are out of air you get the reg in my mouth, I don't care what they thought us it just makes more sense. Then latter I found out about the long hose and that made even more sense.

My 2cents

cerich:
Bob, don't leave out us reps and manufs.! :D
OK ... but y'all are much easier to ignore ... :eyebrow:

(just kidding Chris ... I'd never ignore your advice)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm sorry you feel that way. I can't imagine what you found offensive about the post you quoted, but you are welcome to be offended by it. Why else would we be here than to learn about diving?

While I don't think I am a better diver than everyone, I do think that a *lot* of people don't use their heads, try to come up with solutions to non-existent problems, add gear to solve skill issues, and generally don't think things through. There are many ways to skin a cat, but using a spork probably isn't the best way.

I'm on this board to discuss diving. You may or may not like my opinions about it just as I may or may not like yours. I'm not big on being PC or indirect and that is probably what you see come through in my posts.

jtivat:
I think you can come off as thinking you are a better diver than everyone hear or at least your post can sound that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom