Why there are fewer and fewer fishes in Thai waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dm_junkie:
Just watched Animal Planet.

Studies have shown that major of the damage to the coral reefs are physical contact by humans.

The sad thing is that so much damage is done to the reef by careless divers. So few divers seem to be able to distinquish live from dead coral and just touch and hold on to coral all the time. Also many "dive pro's" and "experienced" divers and photographers are outright horrible on the reef kicking and breaking coral, stirring up sediment and plunging their way into the reef just to get a shot at some poor little critter. It's often the divers that are "experienced and know it all" that are doing the damage and their attitude is hard to change. I sometimes feel embarrased and ashamed I am diving with people who shouldn't be in the water in the first place (or should redo their Open Water Diver Course....:D

Bowmouth:
Also many "dive pro's" and "experienced" divers and photographers are outright horrible on the reef kicking and breaking coral, stirring up sediment and plunging their way into the reef just to get a shot at some poor little critter. It's often the divers that are "experienced and know it all" that are doing the damage and their attitude is hard to change. I sometimes feel embarrased and ashamed I am diving with people who shouldn't be in the water in the first place (or should redo their Open Water Diver Course....:D

Report him to good thai guys on board, let them get a shot at him after sending his
nose outside in :eyebrow:

theres a very intersting study done in the carib which is discussed in the beuatiful oceans podcast.

it numerizes the amount of coral breaks per diver type.

if i recall - in order of worstness

1 - photographers with big camera (1.6 breaks every ten miniute i recall)
2. new divers and divers with "small" cameras
3. divers

also interestingly the biggest perecntage of breaks are in the first 10 minutes

Back
Top Bottom