Why use aluminum doubles for ocean diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MHK once bubbled...
The entrance to Gimbels Hole is at 180' where we drop our bottles. We then tie off, using a continuos guideline, as we penetrate, Upon exiting we pick up our bottles and ascend. I haven't scootered the Doria so it's all swim diving. A couple of my friends are going again this year so I'm considering doing it again, but for me it's kinda played out but if I go this year I'll probably scooter.

Yea, I have to agree, the Doria is well known as a "tanglie" wreck, leaving the bottles outside in this case (line penetration, single point of entrance and exit) is far more prudent than bringing them in.

Down here in South Florida we have mostly artificials and other "clean" wrecks (example- Northern Light, been down since 1930 so is fairly clean of entanglements) so our penetrations are different from a Doria type dive. In most cases our wrecks are fairly open with multiple entry and exit possibilities so we often bring our deco bottles in with us. Some are so open we bring our Gavins in with us. Now that's a thrill; flying a Gavin inside a wreck!

Most of the time we do, of course, leave the Gavins outside. Clip the tow cord onto a rail or other suitable spot and the Gavin hangs there waiting for you. I've gotten very used to seeing a line of Gavins swaying in the current, its rather comforting :)

WW

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom