Why was this thread closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
this thread:

http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=2814292#post2814292

was unilaterally closed by staff for no apparent reason, other than the staff member in question appears to think the discussion is over (not sure how he can determine that)

a couple of suggestions:

1. when a thread does not violate TOS, leave it alone, Staff

2. when there are feelings that Staff is censoring people's points of view, it doesn't help any to close a thread just because...

can't we just re-open the thread and let it run its course? why this mad rush to close it???

I couldn't really fathom the reason either.

Still....I've been quoted - "for the good of the board" - fairly recently as a reason for a Staff action. That means they can pretty much do what they want and claim justification, so I don't think there's much point in complaining. It's not a democracy after all.

Oh Andy!

This is their house and while in their house you have to accept their rules.

If you dont like those rules you can start a board of your own.

***Add some other thread closing cliche here *** :D

ianr33:
Oh Andy!

This is their house and while in their house you have to accept their rules.

If you dont like those rules you can start a board of your own.
:D
I haven't looked at the thread. But, in general, Andy is a House Rules supporter without a doubt - so your statement above seems harsh. I think what he is saying here is that it's only fair for the house to play by the rules that the house makes.

It never was a democracy ... it's a business. "For the good of the business" is as good a reason as any, I suppose, to kill a thread.

I do think El Orans is a bit over enthusiastic at times when it comes to killing threads, but in this case the horse had been beaten to a bloody pulp anyway.

Let's move on ... it's April 4th, the thread in question is getting a bit dated ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I guess Andy is just trying to understand the logic behind the closings - and the right to close a thread is not in question. I do wonder myself at times why some threads are not allowed to run their course (despite the topic beaten to death) when you have other threads like that MOF garbage.

Rick Inman:
I haven't looked at the thread. But, in general, Andy is a House Rules supporter without a doubt - so your statement above seems harsh. I think what he is saying here is that it's only fair for the house to play by the rules that the house makes.

In a business, it is not a question of fair but a question of fare.

Oooh, my thread was closed, I feel so important now :D

I was aiming to get the poll to 200 participants though, so I could have published the results in a scientific journal. May I get an extension?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom