Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvanant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
One question to the engineers at Sea and Sea. I just received the RDX housing for the T1i and it is quite nice, but I wonder why the tray adapter for the camera has to be removed to change the battery in the camera. This is a giant pain in the butt and it could be a very easy fix since there certainly appears to be extra material on the tray.

Bill

I guess Sea&Sea japanese engineers do not follow this Forum... unfortunately!

Maybe because the battery compartment stays underneath it, just like the tripod socket used to attach the tray...

Having used Sea&Sea for 10y now, one of the things I like most in their housings in the way they design the tray adapter, it is very sturdy and firm with even the heaviest lenses like the 14-24mm!!!

I never used the new plastic housings, but the answer you seek might be in this area.
Trays should not only prevent the camera from pointing downwards with the lens weight, but also sideways as you use the controls.

I don't think I ever saw a DSLR housing with the ability to change batteries while the adapter is on, unless the battery compartment opens to the side.

And in your case I recommend you don't leave it on the camera. The locking mechanism is different from the MDX housings, and the "lock lever" sits with no support when the camera is out of the housing. IMHO it's prone to brake.

Good Luck!

I guess Sea&Sea japanese engineers do not follow this Forum... unfortunately!

Maybe because the battery compartment stays underneath it, just like the tripod socket used to attach the tray...

Having used Sea&Sea for 10y now, one of the things I like most in their housings in the way they design the tray adapter, it is very sturdy and firm with even the heaviest lenses like the 14-24mm!!!

I never used the new plastic housings, but the answer you seek might be in this area.
Trays should not only prevent the camera from pointing downwards with the lens weight, but also sideways as you use the controls.

I don't think I ever saw a DSLR housing with the ability to change batteries while the adapter is on, unless the battery compartment opens to the side.

And in your case I recommend you don't leave it on the camera. The locking mechanism is different from the MDX housings, and the "lock lever" sits with no support when the camera is out of the housing. IMHO it's prone to brake.

Good Luck!

All my subal housings allow for changing the battery without unscrewing any pieces.

Maybe Sea & sea wanted to make the camera as compact as possible. The Grip L does have a module where you can remove the housing and it looks like just a few extra steps but I don't think it will compromise the photo experience.

Maybe Sea & sea wanted to make the camera as compact as possible. The Grip L does have a module where you can remove the housing and it looks like just a few extra steps but I don't think it will compromise the photo experience.

Its not getting the housing off the tray that part is designed quite nicely, if a bit on the heavy side (800+ grams for the tray) but rather when you want to change the battery you
a. Release the tray lock
b. Push the tray lock release button then remove the housing from the tray
c. Open the housing
d. Remove the camera
e. Use/find a screwdriver to remove the camera tray attached to the camera
f. replace the battery
g. use the scredriver to replace the camera tray
h. put the camera back in the housing
i. close the housing
j. reattach the housing tray to the housing
k. lock the housing to the tray

On the Subal
a. Open the back
b. slide camera back half inch
c. replace battery
d. slide camera back in
e. close the back.

Much simpler (of course it is a lot more money)

Bill

Back
Top Bottom