Whytecliff, January 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Well, my husband and I FINALLY got up to Vancouver to dive, and I have to say, you guys keep your cards close to your chests!

Whytecliff Park is a stunningly beautiful setting, even when the skies are dark and the parking lot is so wet that there are creeks running down the stairs. We were fortunate that there were no waves, so the only threat the logs posed was the maze you had to thread to get to the water. The viz was beautiful in the bay, but unfortunately a bit worse on the wall, and there was no current to speak off all day.

We met a group of what turned out to be 19 divers altogether, doing anything from recreational profiles to whatever the guys on 18/45 did. Peter and I were on 25/25 and scootered out to the wall on the right of the bay to start -- which is COVERED in cloud sponges! I thought you had to go to Saanich Inlet or north to get cloud sponges, and here they were, with all the small critters that use them as condominiums. We found fur crabs and huge quillback rockfish, and a big Tiger rockfish who was gracious enough to stay around a while to be admired, before sticking his head in a hole and pretending that, if he couldn't see us, we couldn't see him.

We did a nice hour's dive, and passed a very cordial surface interval in the parking lot, while about half of the group decided to demonstrate sanity and repair to warm, dry places to drink.

We nut cases went back down, and this time, Peter and I headed for the little island. We dropped by its side, and went out to the end, and a little further to the wall there. We kicked south a bit, and turned because we were cold; we came back up onto the side of the island and did our deco there, and it was delightful.

The day ended at the Troller's Pub, which was warm and had good hot chocolate and various forms of calories to replace what we had shivered off.

Thank you very much to Todd Powell, the Vancouver UTD instructor, for helping to arrange a lovely day of diving, and for putting up with me and Peter for HOURS in the pub. I look forward to a bunch more trips of this kind, as our theme for 2010 is the West Coast, with an emphasis on Canada.

Once again Lynne...thank you also for taking the time to come up here to Vancouver and dive the local waters :)
It was a pleasure.

It is amazing to both of us that if everyone showed up that was 'supposed' to show up I believe we could have had around 30+ divers in the group!!!
Like you said, this is awesome what we have going for the future :)

I am very much looking forward to next time :)

Best regards,

Todd

Attachments

• IMG_4475.jpg
    IMG_4475.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 143
Some people dream of warm water diving....I dream of doing dives like you've just talked about! Thanks for the report!

Love the pic of all the divers....I've never seen so many Fusions at one time :wink:

My girlfriend and I showed up there just after 4 to start getting ready for an early night dive.. I think we just caught the tail end of your group packing up to leave :D

You know, it's pretty funny . . . the TLS 350 is kind of the GUE signature suit; I wonder if the Fusion will become the UTD one?

Lynne,
It's great that you got to experience Canadian waters. Looks like you guys had fun. I recognize almost half of the people in the picture. I wish I'd been there.

On Jan 2nd I was in FL getting the news that our two dives planned for that day where canceled due to a rough seas small craft advisory. On that day we were supposed to dive a 200'+ ship that was sunk just three days before. A week and a half before I dove the Spiegel Grove and the boat ride there was about an hour long on seas with 8' swells -- not fun a fun boat ride. It ironic that I was in FL yearning for the protected waters of BC.

Thanks for the review.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom