Wild price variations in Lower Mainland shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sschlesi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm in need of a new neck seal for my Bare Trilam suit. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that it should cost around $50 to ship the suit to Bare and have the neck seal replaced. So today I called several of the Lower Mainland shops that Bare lists on their website. They all expected it would take about a week, maybe 2 to get the job done, but the prices varied wildly.

IDC - $119.95
Diving Locker - $70
Dive & Sea - $180 (not clear if they would ship to Bare or replace in-house)
Langley Diving - $50

The most expensive is more than triple the least expensive, that's crazy. I think I'll do more shopping around when I need service from now on.

Wow, quite the price range.

it's surprising that more people don't shop around with dive gear, which is what i do for gear, trips, courses, even air

I think I'll do more shopping around when I need service from now on.

I concur. I bought a hose for $100 at one shop and a couple of weeks later saw it in another shop for $50. I looked at a BP/W in one shop $1000+, in another $850, in another on special $650ish and finally bought one used (but with a new Apexs wing) $300.

I think the dive industry is very weird myself. It seems like there's a golden period (for the shops) where the new diver doesn't know any better and buys whatever for whatever. If it costs so much it's because diving is "very special" and only the "very special" expensive gear will do. Fancy carbon fiber flippers, space shuttle BCD's etc...

These days I find myself drawn more to basic, no frills, functional gear and would just as soon buy something used or build it myself (or find it on the bottom of a lake and wash it up!). Here's my latest "purchase" from the 100' shop at Buntzen lake:

Picture047.jpg

I think you better drop that suit off in Langely and drop by my place for some beer and pizza in exchange for some photoshop help :eyebrow:

When I was looking for aluminum 80 cu. ft doubles, with manifold and bands, I was offered 1500 CAD + tax in one shop and 890 CAD +tax at another... Both shops are from Vancouver.

Last edited:
yeah the whole diving gear thing is a joke, I like how they can list something for retail and out of the blue drop the price by 20/30% if they think you will buy from them. I just bought a BC for $800 and yet any other store was around $1000, whats with that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom