Wildwood nj

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome aboard, Gary. You might want to request a forum change to "Wreck Valley" - NE US forum. I've only been to Wildwood once as a child (I grew up further north on the Jersey Shore) and I tend to think not as stuff close to shore takes a real pounding. What I do recall was really find sand there, the kind that's hard to get out of your bathing suit. Have a good time.

Sorry Gary, not really. Used to be able to dive the concrete ship off the Delaware Bay in Cape May - have heard Gary Gentile talk about diving this. Due to condition of ship that is no longer viable. Not sure if anyone dives the Del Bay from the beach. I have heard diving the inlet in Avalon (2 towns north of WW). I think that site is listed on one of the NJ website lists. Muck bottle diving off the Deauville Inn, Strathmere - not something you would want to do during 'shoobie' season - right in the channel. Shore/inlet diving further up NJ coast, but now you are talking 90 minute drive up....

How bout boat diving? Charters running from Sea Isle City and Atlantic City. Depending on where you are staying in Wildwood, Sea Isle is close.

If you are not familiar with the area the south Jersey shore towns are a series of barrier islands strung together by bridges. From the South, heading North they are:
Cape May, Wildwood Crest/Wildwood City/North Wildwood/Anglesea, Stone Harbor/Avalon (collectively 7 Mile Island), Sea Isle City/Strathmere, Ocean City, Lonport/Margate/Ventnor/Atlantic City.

East Coast (Welcome to EastCoast Diving) has midweek and weekend trips from Atlantic City and Sea Isle. I hear the diving has been great.

Sorry Gary, not really. Used to be able to dive the concrete ship off the Delaware Bay in Cape May - have heard Gary Gentile talk about diving this. Due to condition of ship that is no longer viable.

Jersey, what is the condition of the concrete ship USS Atantus, that it is not a viable dive ?
I was just planning to dive there the first weekend in August

Coney -
Are we talking the same ship located on Sunset Beach or thereabouts, Cape May? While I have not been down to that beach in YEARS, I do recall the ship had basically eroded, the parts left were the rebar re-inforcement for the concrete and thus quite hazardous. I had heard, third or fourth hand, a couple years back that it had become a restricted area. Most recently I saw Gary Gentile at a March 30, 2009 dive club presentation show slides (YES - on a slide carousel) from his early dives there and I do recall him stating that is was no longer diveable. I certainly could be wrong. Let me know what you find out and good luck!
Regards ~ Jersey (or 'Joisey'...)

Back
Top Bottom