Will be staying in Bodden Town - any recommendation for Dive Operators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nazgul

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi!

I'll be going to the Cayman Islands at the end of July with my family - staying at Turtle Nest Inn in Bodden Town. I and one of my daughters (22yr old) are Open Water certified (she just got her certification a few weeks ago - check out dives were in the local quarry dive spot, in 45F water!).

I've seen a number of posts regarding good dive operators, but was wondering if our location of Bodden Town would influence recommendations? We'll have a rental car so will be pretty mobile, so long as there's parking at the other end!

Thanks in advance!

My brother-in-law stayed there at Christmas. They dove with Ocean Frontiers on the East End - probably the closest but also often recommended here. We dive a lot and he was very satisfied with their operation. I think the unit they rented had some sort of dive pkg. option with O/F also. Ask them to take you to Babylon, it's one of the best.

Nazgul I own one of the condos at Turtle Nest Inn/Condos if you need any info feel free to ask or PM me.

WE recommend DNS diving which you can ask the staff at Turtle Nest Inn about, they will also book it for you if you desire, there should be dive packages available with them. They have no problem with new divers .They also have three boats all comfortable leaving from different areas of the Island.

Try to make a dive at Eden Rock in Georgetown,this is a shore dive with a dive Op on site,the Silversides are in and they are a spectacular sight to see with the Tarpon and Jacks feeding on them.

I just returned last week from a trip there.

I second diversteve's recommendation for Ocean Frontiers. The diving on the east end is, IMHO so much better than west. Ocean Frontiers has a top notch staff and nice, fast boats. They dive from the Babylon area (North) all the way down to Frank Sound. There are only two operators on the east end, so it's much less crowded as well. The reefs are in better shape and the topography is much more shear. EastEnd is right about the silversides. If they are still in at the end of July, a dive at Eden Rock or Devil's Grotto will be worth it. Enjoy!

I've stayed at Turtle Nest a couple of times. It's nice but you will be driving aways to go dive. For boat diving Ocean Frontiers are great. For shore diving there are lots of spots on the West coast. Sundivers at the Turtle Farm is a favorite.

One thing I remember about the Turtle Nest Inn was the snorkling at night was wonderful. Very shallow inside the protecting reef. Lots of cool stuff,Octopus etc.

Thanks all for your comments and recommendations. I got in touch with both DNS and Ocean Frontiers. DNS doesn't have any morning dive availability during the week we're there, so I think I'll be booking with Ocean Frontiers. (I'm thinking morning dives will be best so we can spend the afternoons as a family. Comments on morning versus afternoon dives??). I'm thinking of booking a Kittiwake dive and then 2-3 other morning dives, and then maybe also a snorkel trip with the whole family to Stingray City. Any comments or other suggestions?

Thanks!

I just stayed with Compass Point diving with Ocean Frontiers and have a recent trip report posted. I would suggest if you dive with OF book consecutive days to take advantage of their valet service - they will set up and break down your equipment, wash and store it (including wetsuit wash with cleaner) each day so when you show up the next day all you need to do is check in and walk on the boat - your equipment will be waiting for you all set up. My trip was with my 19 yr old daughter. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at CP and diving with OF. Great Op. On morning vs. afternoon I think that is personal preference and schedule dependant. My preference is to dive the morning two tank and then grab lunch. I would recommend heading out to Over the Edge for lunch. Great restaurant on the waters edge. Casual - old cayman style restaurant with good seafood. It is a bit of a drive from OF - towards Rum Point but worth the drive if you like restaurants with a local vibe, great location and good food. We also had a great dinner at Tukas just up the road from OF and I suspect you would enjoy the lunch as well.

My bias would be to do AM boat dives with OF for all the reasons mentioned, leaving your afternoons free to do stuff like Stingray City,Kittiwake or shore dive ( or just veg out ). East end diving beats West side hands down.

Thanks all for your comments and recommendations. I got in touch with both DNS and Ocean Frontiers. DNS doesn't have any morning dive availability during the week we're there, so I think I'll be booking with Ocean Frontiers. (I'm thinking morning dives will be best so we can spend the afternoons as a family. Comments on morning versus afternoon dives??). I'm thinking of booking a Kittiwake dive and then 2-3 other morning dives, and then maybe also a snorkel trip with the whole family to Stingray City. Any comments or other suggestions?

Thanks!
If you book the Kittiwake with Ocean Frontiers you have to drive to the West Bay Dock to meet them. Since they bring a boat around, they only do it Tuesday afternoon. It would be more convenient to book it with one of the in-Georgetown operators most likely - shorter drive to the boat. Maybe Sunset Divers at Sunset House (followed by a shore dive there). There's a few other in/near Georgetown diveops with scheduled slots on the Kittiwake - the list is here: The Official Website for the Kittiwake Shipwreck - Schedules

You could also spend time at Sunset House before/after the dive. There's decent snorkeling, diving with the Amphitrite statue, My Bar for lunch and the Cathy Church Photo Gallery on-site. She sells her work afford-ably and will sign it if she's on-site.

If you are going towards Seven Mile Beach or West Bay - from Bodden Town you don't need to go thru downtown Georgetown and the cruise crowds. There's a back road - about 1/2 way (or more) back towards Georgetown, there's a Hurley's Market (you'll probably shop there for food), take the right fork (Pierson Hwy) and it becomes the North Sound Rd. Connect back to West Bay/Seven Mile Beach at the 2nd or third rotaries or other surface streets. Check when the cruise ships are in here: Ship Schedules

Or stay on it (the name changes again) and past all the SMB resorts also - it ends into West Bay Rd. north around Governor's Creek. So if you're heading up to Turtle Reef, the Turtle Farm/Boatswains Beach, Tortuga Rum Cakes etc. - it's a little faster.

Last edited:
Ocean Frontiers is one of the best, if not the best, operator I've used. Two visits and 40 dives in 2011, scheming to get back as soon as I can. We did morning, afternoon, 3 tank, night dives, all were great. We stayed at Compass Point, can't beat the convenience, but several divers on our boat commuted from Turtle Nest. OF is flexible enough for anybody, dive with the excellent DMs or go off on your own with your buddy. Dives are limited by gas/NDL, not time. Nitrox readily available. East end is beatuful, walls and reefs.

Good diving, Craig

Back
Top Bottom