Will film camera external strobe work with a digital camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I realize this is a very basic question! I am in the process of trying to buy a Reefmaster Mini for my husband. He wants to convert from his Bonica Sea King II.

My understanding is that he will need a new strobe that is compatible with a digital camera, as they fire differently. Is this true?

I appreciate any input!

What kind of strobe is he using?

If he is using an older Bonica strobe, I don't think it will work with the Reefmaster Mini. You would need a camera that has a "slave" flash mode, which doesn't emit a preflash. If you want to use the older Bonica flash, it would be easier to just get a Canon A570is. That model has the ability to emit a single flash.

On the strobe it says it's a "Dual Sensor, Model # Neonlite"

Please bear withe me - this is what I've found out so far about it:

"The Neon Strobe works with any underwater camera that comes equipped with a regular tripod mount and has a built-in flash. Uniquely featured with dual sensors (most slave strobes have only one sensor), the Neon Strobe fires simultaneously with the camera flash without the need of a sync cord."

So, it appears to be a "slave" strobe. And this means that it will be compatible with the mini?

Thanks for your help! I know very little about underwater photography, but I really want to surprise hubby before we leave for Cozumel in Jan :)

Most likely he needs a new strobe. Just snap a picture to test it -- most likely it will come out dark, as if the slave flash never fired, even if it was triggered by the camera flash and did fire.

The problem is that many digital cameras do a tiny "pre-flash" to get an estimate of how much flash and what f-stop will be needed for the correct exposure.

You won't see this pre-flash because it is a very small fraction of a second before the main flash, but this preflash will trigger most slave flashes. Since the slave syncs to the preflash rather than the main flash, it doesn't illuminate the scene during the exposure.

More recent slave flashes can be set to ignore one or two pre-flashes and to sync up with just the main flash of the camera. There is no need for this sort of function with film cameras, so any slave flashes originally designed for film cameras won't work with most digital cameras --- except those where you can go into a menu and turn off the preflash.

The dual sensors of the Neon strobe don't help to solve this problem.

My take is to keep the strobe but buy a camera that will work with your strobe. The Sealife Reefmaster is not that camera. The problems with the Reefmaster...min. focus of only 2 feet (so much for close up work), small LCD and only 2 AA batteries (your camera may die before your strobe does)

Specs

6.0 mp CCD Sensor - For sharper images
Large 2" TFT LCD for easy viewing and aiming
Long battery life powered by 2 AA Batteries
Instant Focus - from 2ft / 60cm to Infinity

I don't know the price of a Reefmaster but there are much better cameras out there like the Canon A series with 4 AA batteries, more megapixels, larger LCD and full manual control, some like my A630, are able to shutoff the preflash so it will work with your Bonica strobe.

So you may have to pay a bit more for the Canon but you will save in the end because you don't have to buy a strobe. Plus the Canons make a good top side cameras.

Oh and you can see the preflash it looks like the main flash that is staying on longer.

Anyone know if the canon G9 allows for a single flash setting? I downloaded the manual but its not really explained, unless flash on without red eye reduction is that setting. Would also like to find a way to use my film camera strobe (a Bonica as well)

Back
Top Bottom